Spark Plug Blowout From Hell - New Heads? Motor? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Blowout From Hell - New Heads? Motor? Help?

A few months back I had a plug blowout on the driver side front most cylinder. I got it fixed with a threadsert and a little help from a buddy of mine and all was well. A few days ago I had what sounded like a 'half-blowout' where it sounded like a blowout, only not as bad. When I went to look for the plug, I found it was not only the same cylinder I had put in the insert in, but the plug itself was still in there and would NOT come out. It would sit there and spin, wouldn't come out and wouldn't tighten back in. After much cursing, drilling, and more cursing, we decided to just pull the heads off the truck (a real MFer, let me tell you). The pictures below are what I found:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...l/IMG_3212.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...l/IMG_3215.jpg

As you can see (and excuse my lack of terminology) but basically the insert failed on me. My buddy who knows a helluva lot more than me when it comes to motors said that basically the head had a casting defect from the factory. When we installed the insert, either then or in the last few days, it broke off a small chunk of the head and buried itself deeper into the head, gouging the piston.

In short I'm going to need at least a new head, and am probably (or need to?) going to replace both, or the entire motor if it's only slightly more than a set of new heads. Basically I'm just looking for some thoughts/opinions on the whole situation from you guys, and where I should go from here. Should I just get some new heads, and from where? What about the piston? That gouge is definitely noticeable, but small (probably less than .25 of an inch). What do I need to do (short of a brand new truck) so I don't have to worry about this situation or anything related to it later on down the road?

edit: I'd like to do this as cheap as possible as well. I don't want to cut corners, but I don't want to go out and drop 5k on a brand new badass motor either.

Last edited by _cashel; 08-13-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 PM
damn that sucks. every time i drive my truck i worry something like this is gonna happen...

Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by 5SpeedSteed
damn that sucks. every time i drive my truck i worry something like this is gonna happen...
Yeah I thought I had the blow-out issue dealt with. I've done it twice on this truck, and fixing it is a breeze. I never thought it'd come back and bite me in the *** though.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, it will bite yuh again and again unless you use the right insert. That would be Time sert.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:45 PM
yea, i've installed a time-sert before...just haven't ever had to on my truck :fingers crossed:

Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, it will bite yuh again and again unless you use the right insert. That would be Time sert.
Yeah these weren't the official "Time-Sert" brand, I'll have to look on the kit to make sure who it is, but they're the same steel inserts w/ knurled edges that lock themselves into the head. I got the kit from my buddy who's been helping me all along (same guy who also did my gears couple years back), who builds motors as both a hobby and a day's work, and he said it was legit, guess not. He also said that all threadserts weren't completely "permanent" and were more of a band-aid than anything else. He said once you drop them in there, you really need to limit how often you're pulling and dropping plugs in. Not doubting anybody's word, here or my friend's, just repeating what I've been told. Either way, what's done is done, and I need to figure out the best cost-effective to get my truck back on the road, because I'm not going to be able to afford much downtime.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 PM
damn man, doesnt look good at all. i too worry about this stupid problem everytime i take my truck out

Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 PM
well, the ones i used were actually the Cal-Van kind...they went in with JB Weld on the threads (of the insert, not the plug) and were most definitely permanent...i still talk to the person i did the work for, 55k miles and 2 years later it's still going strong...it was a '02 Screw with a 5.4 BTW...

Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I recommend that anyone who is interested in the plug blowout situation do some reading here:

www.blownoutsparkplug.com

Those guys are the only REAL thing - the next closest thing is Timesert.

To the OP - I think I'd take a chance on a good used engine.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the cylinder, and/or rod is not damaged, you would be OK with just new heads.
What is the price difference for the engine's replacement you referred to?
But seriously, if the piston top can be smoothed out, there wouldn't be any harm done by replacing just the head.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:45 PM

I like CAL-Van as well. Time sert is proven tho. The Cal-van looks to be a better kit from what I've seen in the past. You DON'T remove the heads, you don't need to. Time Sert has what's called the "Big Sert" kit. - That's usually if someone tried to Heli-coil. Heli coils last 2 years max and do more damage then good. Cal-Van or Time Sert are PERMENANT fixes that last, - If the head was still on the vehicle, then it's a couple hour fix. If not.....

User Galaxy on this site rents the kit, you can save there.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:47 PM
There was a TSB regarding defective heads that included our '99 5.4l Expedition. I don't know the specifics, but the dealer replaced both heads.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Backpacker
There was a TSB regarding defective heads that included our '99 5.4l Expedition. I don't know the specifics, but the dealer replaced both heads.
That sounds expensive. There isn't a TSB like that anyway lol.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Backpacker
Was there a date of manufacture for the tsb, I have a 99 Eddie Bower?
Has there been a length of time limit on the tsb? 99's are up to 11 years old now.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tumba
Was there a date of manufacture for the tsb, I have a 99 Eddie Bower?
Has there been a length of time limit on the tsb? 99's are up to 11 years old now.
The TSB is just a bulletin and no longer applies. It's not a recall. The bulletin consists of Repair instructions only, - that involved removing the heads. You still have to pay for all that.

Now, this isn't necessary and anyone can do the repair.

I can post it if you like. ?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Blowout From Hell - New Heads? Motor? Help?