Is replacing Sparks and Wires hard?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by m4rx
well I will tell you what that was what I can call an adventure. Not too hard for anyone to do, but is a pain the a** especially cylinder 4 and 8. I kept having to recheck cylinder 4 and finally I thought it was in there, drove, and it popped out. Lucky I turned off the car immediately and promptly fixed it.

Oh and the clamps. Watch out for those clingy little things. I few marks left on my hands made the day just so much more fun.

Just a thought, do the factory wires stretch a little bit, as the brand new Motorcraft ones I had didn't exactly match them all well.

Not too bad, saved a few hundred, and finished in under 2 hours. Yay.

Thanks for all the help

--Tyler
Good deal. Yea, - if you coat the ceramics on the plugs before install with dielectric grease, the boots will push on correctly and give you a moisture tight seal.

I suppose that's not in the directions, but it is the best way. You can also coat the bottom of the boots a little when just changing wires, but that's not as ideal as coating the plugs. You don't the want dielectric grease on your wire/plug contact points. That's why it's easier just hitting the ceramics with it,- before a plug install.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a thought, do the factory wires stretch a little bit, as the brand new Motorcraft ones I had didn't exactly match them all well.
In my experience it's not uncommon for even the OEM brand of spark plug wires not to exactly match the original equipment wires. I don't know if it's because they cover more applications by also including those that are somewhat close or what. Hardly ever find a wire set that EXACTLY matches the length of OE, whether it's OEM or aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Is replacing Sparks and Wires hard?