Synthetic Myth or Fact?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic Myth or Fact?

I just bought a 2010 F-150 with 10KM on it (V8 5.4). I wanted the dealer to change the oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic. I alway do this to my cars that I buy. I was told by the Ford Service person that it is not reccomended that I use full sythetic oil in this truck. Never heard of this before, however am I missing something? The grade of the oil reccomended was 5W 20, i will have to verify that as well.

Any comments?

Thanks

Old 10-03-2009, 04:21 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
BS. You can use full synthetic as long as it meets Ford specs. 5W20 is the correct grade. However, don't switch to it till your SECOND oil change. Have the DEALER do the first change with standard Motorcraft 5W20 semi-synthetic, then after that, do what you want. Reason for having the dealer do the first change? Ford uses some gorilla named Bubba with an impact wrench to screw the oil filters on at the factory. It's very difficult to remove.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I wouldnt think that full synthetic would hurt a thing(especially if it were AMSOIL =p ), more or less improve it since you're starting early with change.

But Im sure he has his reasons for saying that, did you bother asking any others you talked to there to verify?

Old 10-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I asked him why and it was a load of crap, I felt. However I could have been missing something about the Ford Engine. I use Mobil1 in all my cars and when I told him that synthetic oil is much better in our winters for cold starts. The Ford service person did not know how to respond. My truck is getting PDI'd at that dealer so I just want them to get ready for pick up with no issues. I just picked a dealer that gave me the lowest purchase price of the truck and did not concern myself with the service department when making my choice. I hope this truck is much more reliable than my Governement Motors (GM) piece of lemon that I sold two weeks ago.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I put in a full synthetic upon dumping the factory fill at 3K miles.....at 43K miles engine purrrsss, silky smooth with no startup noises!.......Many factory cars are filled with a full Syn oil before leaving the assembly line!.....Your service guy is BS!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Well regardless of what the service dept. had to say about the question, I think you will see most on this forum will agree, full synthetic aint goin to hurt a thing, but rather improve, I know when I bought my truck (88k, now at 92.5k)it had pitch black oil and ran a little sluggish, I did the first change with Castrol because I guess I fell for the advertising about removing sludge first change, then stepped it up to Amsoil after I did alot more reading(whatever synthetic you prefer, Mobil 1 is great stuff also, my alternative choice.).

Needless to say the truck runs PERFECT, besides all the tune-ups I got to play catchup on because the person before me was lazy, and drove the vehicle VERY hard(afterall its a truck). I think you will be satisfied, also take heed to what glc said above and I think with Full synthetic comes a bit more peace of mind, atleast for me it does.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by TheBlackPearl
I just bought a 2010 F-150 with 10KM on it (V8 5.4). I wanted the dealer to change the oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic. I alway do this to my cars that I buy. I was told by the Ford Service person that it is not reccomended that I use full sythetic oil in this truck. Never heard of this before, however am I missing something? The grade of the oil reccomended was 5W 20, i will have to verify that as well.

Any comments?

Thanks
Here is a great web site that has all the info you could need about auto oil... and about half way down it explains why it is good to use ld dino oil first then after use full synthetichttp://www.boss302.com/oil.htm

Old 10-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Mobil One is a GP III dino synthetic base oil. Just like the GP III used in the blends as factory fill. Yer dealers tech is clueless. I'd find another dealer and if you are a Mobil One fan, use the EP version. It's a much better value but change it just like you would normally change the oil. Consult the owners manual for oil change intervals. Because of the cleaner burning fuels and lean burn technology in todays newer engines you can easily get 5000 miles on a change of oil. I'm running mine at 7500 miles with analysis and there is still life in the oil. I use a blend FWIW.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Mobil One is a GP III dino synthetic base oil. Just like the GP III used in the blends as factory fill.
Hey, don't mean to thread-jack but Labnerd, Mobil One states on the bottle that its a ILSAC GF-4 oil. Is the GF rating a different rating than the GP? I know that the GP is the type of base stock they use to make the oil, GP III being semi-synthetic and GP IV being a fully-synthetic. The GF just confuses me, as I don't know if this means its actually a group IV oil or if its just a totally different rating.

Thanks,

- Erik

- PS: Yeah, the guy at the dealer doesn't know what he's talking about, running a synthetic in these motors is just fine.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:00 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
GF is a performance standard, not a type.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 AM
I would like to know the service techs reason for not using syn as well!

On a side note, I was goofing around at the VW dealer and they have a deal going on now for free service for 30k miles when you purchase a new VW. So I said I come in every 5k miles or so and you guys give the vehicle the works? They stated they are letting the fully syn VW's go for 10k before service. I thought that was a very interesting!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 AM
fjc
Originally Posted by Shane1
On a side note, I was goofing around at the VW dealer and they have a deal going on now for free service for 30k miles when you purchase a new VW. So I said I come in every 5k miles or so and you guys give the vehicle the works? They stated they are letting the fully syn VW's go for 10k before service. I thought that was a very interesting!
I had a Jaguar X-Type (baby Jag) a few years ago on a lease. It included full maintenance. They only changed the oil every 10k miles, too.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now last year when I was researching if full synthetic would be safe everyone jumped on me and said not for a daily driven truck thats not working hard. I use Motorcraft 5w20, I wanted to pour in mobil 1 in it though..

Old 10-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Now last year when I was researching if full synthetic would be safe everyone jumped on me and said not for a daily driven truck thats not working hard. I use Motorcraft 5w20, I wanted to pour in mobil 1 in it though..
pour it in!!!! i use vavloline high milage 5w20 and my truck is a daily driven truck and i work the hell out of it and dont think itd be good to use a synthetic this late

Old 10-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Oil filter

I can verify ford using an impact to put on the oil filter at the factory. I work at NTB and did an oil change for a guy with an 09 Expedtion. It took alot to get this filter off. Never again, took me 15 min to get this dang filter off.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Myth or Fact?