No signal to coil pack, bad PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Those damn coils can play funny tricks on yuh - Whether coil packs or COP systems. They can pass Primary, Secondary and even stress tests all day long , but still be bad under certain loads within the drive-cycle.

We need a smarter misfire monitor that's for sure, -along with more reliable generators/coils.

So it was the PCM as well. It's my guess that is what shorted the coil, (-in short.)

Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Cleaning dirty contacts is what cleared up the problem. When the connector is bolted down it doesn't move. What may move is the cover for the connector. Glad to see that you fixed it.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by JMC
Cleaning dirty contacts is what cleared up the problem. When the connector is bolted down it doesn't move. What may move is the cover for the connector. Glad to see that you fixed it.
That could be, I've seen that happen with O2 sensors allot.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, too, think it was primarily the dirty PCM contacts. Took it out driving today and it's running great.

Brought it home this afternoon and started on a front end brake job - figured while I was getting it fixed up I might as well take care of that job too, especially while the rest of the family is out-of-town. I had the rotors turned (probably last time they'll be able to be turned, new ones next time), new pads, all new bearings and races, etc. The linings weren't so bad, but I was having some weird vibration issues, so making sure I do everything I can to eliminate that. Tomorrow evening, I'll be working on my wife's 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan A/C, which slowly but steadily simply lost cold air over the last 6 days (probably a leak somewhere).

Manufactured in June 1999, purchased new 10 years ago this month. Now with 123,000 miles, I plan to at least double those miles on this F-150 in the next 10 years (unless gas becomes unaffordable in the meantime).

A million thanks to jbrew, JMC, and 98Expedition10 who all threw valuable suggestions at me. I really appreciate your expertise, time, and energy!

Thanks,
Ron

Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 AM

No problem, that's what it's all about.

Tip-

Front Brakes:

Seen allot of people replace quite a bit hardware on these systems before finding the true culprit. Those factory front brake hoses break down inside and restrict flow in these older models. Flow is most important in proper operation of our twin piston calipers.

Replace these lines at room temp (shouldn't be a problem where your at) and change the fluid for best results. It's not to pricey

Good Luck

Quick Reply: No signal to coil pack, bad PCM?