5.4 liter engine noise

Old 08-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 liter engine noise

my 2004 f150 fx4 has contineous engine noise that sounds like the truck has old solid lifters, i have used motocraft synthetic since new. Tried stp but no improvement, does anyone know of any mods or repairs to fix this noise issue. I also have a vacuum noise that comes generally in colder weather from the right cowl area, seems to be strongest at around 1500 rpm range, we have 3 f-150's, 2 are 2003 and 1 2004 and they all do the same thing.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by joe b
my 2004 f150 fx4 has contineous engine noise that sounds like the truck has old solid lifters, i have used motocraft synthetic since new. Tried stp but no improvement, does anyone know of any mods or repairs to fix this noise issue. I also have a vacuum noise that comes generally in colder weather from the right cowl area, seems to be strongest at around 1500 rpm range, we have 3 f-150's, 2 are 2003 and 1 2004 and they all do the same thing.
There is a recall on your truck for a vacuum line in the back of your engine near bell housing that you will eventualy lose your power brakes if not fixed plus all the dirt it is sucking in isn't good for the engine either The ticking problem is probably the camshaft phaser problem. And I am getting ready to replace them on my 06 Mark LT. I have really bad ticking at 900 -1000 RPMs.
Here is a article I copied. GOOD LUCK

{As a Ford technician I can tell you that the 5.4L 3valve has variable cam timing problems, on the front of both cam shafts instead of a timing sprocket, there is what's call a cam phaser, I know that this sounds like a star trek warp engine part but it's not, depending on the mileage of the truck, you may be able to get ford to cover some of the cost of the repair. There is an updated part and when properly repaired this should not happen again, the thing about it is, there are two of them in each engine so you don't necessarily have to replace them both but if you don't there will be a chance that it will happen on the other side. The part number for the cam phaser is 3R2Z-6A257-DA, you will also need valve cover gaskets but I would take it to the dealer because if the job isn't done right there could be SERIOUS engine damage. This repair is only necessary if the ticking noise can be heard from inside the cab. otherwise it's normal injector and valve train noise
Source(s):
Ford technician
Ford tsb 06-19-8}

Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How many miles are on your truck?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by itsmerandy
There is a recall on your truck for a vacuum line in the back of your engine near bell housing that you will eventualy lose your power brakes if not fixed plus all the dirt it is sucking in isn't good for the engine either The ticking problem is probably the camshaft phaser problem. And I am getting ready to replace them on my 06 Mark LT. I have really bad ticking at 900 -1000 RPMs.
Here is a article I copied. GOOD LUCK

{As a Ford technician I can tell you that the 5.4L 3valve has variable cam timing problems, on the front of both cam shafts instead of a timing sprocket, there is what's call a cam phaser, I know that this sounds like a star trek warp engine part but it's not, depending on the mileage of the truck, you may be able to get ford to cover some of the cost of the repair. There is an updated part and when properly repaired this should not happen again, the thing about it is, there are two of them in each engine so you don't necessarily have to replace them both but if you don't there will be a chance that it will happen on the other side. The part number for the cam phaser is 3R2Z-6A257-DA, you will also need valve cover gaskets but I would take it to the dealer because if the job isn't done right there could be SERIOUS engine damage. This repair is only necessary if the ticking noise can be heard from inside the cab. otherwise it's normal injector and valve train noise
Source(s):
Ford technician
Ford tsb 06-19-8}
Came from here.

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...2162318AAuhJkk

Old 08-04-2009, 03:12 PM
truck has 60K miles on it, dont really hear the noise in the cab yet, but it is loud outside or you can hear it with the window down near anything that will bounce the sound off it like a car or at say a drive in window

Old 08-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Lots of people think my truck has a diesel engine but I could never hear it in the cab. 118K miles.
Dropped a valve at 118K and it ended up in the oil pan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 liter engine noise