4.6 removal question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 removal question.

Ok i posted about a month ago but didnt get an answer to what i was looking for. Im in the middle of trying to swap out my engine (4.6l Wvin) so far everything is apart except the manifold/pipe bolts 1 mount and the part im stuck on.. which is the flywheel/torque converter bolts.. Nothing i seem to do will take them out.. Not enough room to fit a ratchet in there and the wrenches dont seem to take hold( like its set in too far and the box or open end wont go on) is it possible to take the torque converter out with the engine and take it off there? or is there a seal or something that would be broken if i pulled it on the flywheel... trucks been sitting for a couple of months now i had gotten fed up with it and let it sit now its bugging me, Thanks in advance

Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Ok i figured it out, finally got someone useful at polito ford here, for anyone doing their first engine change... theres a 2 inch rubber plug on the drivers side of the bellhousing to get at the torque converter bolts. there are 4 nuts you have to take off from there. once i found out it was there, matter of 10 minutes in the rain to have them taken off, Now whats left to do... get at the ac pump bolts to tear it off, cut the manifold/pipe bolts(rusted in there pretty good) and 1 more mount and its ready to rip out...

Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you got it figured out!
I read your post the other day and couldn't think how to help. I haven't pulled a motor or trans since back in the 70s.

Good luck with the swap.

Phil

Old 07-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by phil6608
Glad you got it figured out!
I read your post the other day and couldn't think how to help. I haven't pulled a motor or trans since back in the 70s.

Good luck with the swap.

Phil
Thanks Phil, Going to need all the luck i can get lol 21 years old, first ever real mechanical work lol but happy with how its going thusfar except that one hiccup lol, but i have to figure out which engine it is im putting in considering i didnt have a VIN to read, anyone know of any way to tell by something on the engine (have to figure out whether i will need to change oilpan and lifter and the oil filter spout for sure)

Quick Reply: 4.6 removal question.