F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   carbed 460 in a '97-'04? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/381910-carbed-460-97-04-a.html)

HillsOttfam 06-30-2009 07:58 PM

carbed 460 in a '97-'04?

This may sound stupid, but I was wondering if anybody has tried to put a carbed 460 in one of the '97-'02 F-150's. I've got a bored and stroked 460 (496ci) that I had built when I was a kid that's been sitting on the engine stand for the last 20 years, and I had a possibly interested buyer in it. If he waffles too long, or falls through, I think it would be an amazing replacement for that tired old 4.6. I'd want to go to a salvage yard and get the 5 speed/4x4 xfer case, as well as the serpentine stuff and such from a 7.5 F-truck, but how nasty an undertaking do folks here think it would be? Has anybody already done it? Pretty wild idea, I know, but hey, the 4.6 rebuild will run me well over $2k (including Patriot heads) and I already have about 3 times that much spent in that 460, in 1989 dollars, so if there's a chance it could work without too much in the way of headaches (getting the headers on that 4.6 was a NIGHTMARE!!!!) I might actually be game.

Camarothatcould 06-30-2009 08:24 PM

sitting for 20 years????? I'm sorry but that engine will prolly need to be torn down and all new seals and bearings..... having an engine sit, for that long, is probably the worse thing you could have done to it... The pure weight of that rotating assembly sitting on those bottom bearings and bearings caps probably created some space.... I know those seals are prolly all dry rotted out now and oblonged also.... yikes

Matts ford 06-30-2009 08:31 PM

you will be spending more time getting the 460 to fit than anything else. IMO its not worth it but it is possible. plus you'll have to figure that the 8.8" rear end wont hold up so well to a 460 like it does to a 4.6. what kind of numbers would you guess the engine will put out? you have to have some fab skills or find someone with some good fab skills to make the engine fit right. nothing is the same in your truck as the trucks that already had the 385 series engines in them. then you have to figure the time for the transmission(i'm assuming you'll choose the c6?) and routing everything for it. plus the driveshaft and angles to deal with. it'll be tough but if you can and want to do it then go for it. it'll be an interesting project.

HillsOttfam 06-30-2009 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Matts ford (Post 3784754)
you will be spending more time getting the 460 to fit than anything else. IMO its not worth it but it is possible. plus you'll have to figure that the 8.8" rear end wont hold up so well to a 460 like it does to a 4.6. what kind of numbers would you guess the engine will put out? you have to have some fab skills or find someone with some good fab skills to make the engine fit right. nothing is the same in your truck as the trucks that already had the 385 series engines in them. then you have to figure the time for the transmission(i'm assuming you'll choose the c6?) and routing everything for it. plus the driveshaft and angles to deal with. it'll be tough but if you can and want to do it then go for it. it'll be an interesting project.

Nah--already swapped in the 9.75 rear from an '02. If possible, I'd go with a complete 5 speed/4x4 xfer (not a fan of a/t's myself, but I do have the C6, it just needs a LOT of attention, so if I can go with an already complete, ready-to-go tranny/xfer case, great) case out of a 385 truck (what was the last year for them? 1995?), so all that there'd be would be the issue of actually fitting the motor into that engine bay, and the issues of motor mounts lining up. As for sitting on the engine stand for 20 years, it wasn't finished. The reciprocating assembly was put together, the heads mounted, and that was about it. The rest of all of the gaskets are still NIB.

Anyway, judging from responses so far, I take it that that's a big NO, no one has ever done that. OK. I was thinking over my 8 hour drive hauling that behemoth out here to the Hills that a 496ci, 450-500Hp Big block would definitely do that truck justice:thumbsup:!

Klitch 06-30-2009 11:37 PM

i haul with my lightning powerplant... it competes with diesels.

HillsOttfam 07-01-2009 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Klitch (Post 3785046)
i haul with my lightning powerplant... it competes with diesels.

cool-yes. But the point I was getting at was I already have this motor, and if I could obtain a complete 5 speed W/4x4 x-fer case, I'm wondering about the feasibility of performing this swap.

Rebuilding that 4.6 is going to cost a lot of $$$$, and I already have the basic investment into the 460. I guess my big thing is how much work would it be to fit that monster into my truck? Those mod motors with the SOHC are pretty wide, aren't they? Comparably to a 385-Lima series motor? I know that 460 would weigh a bit more than that 4.6, so I might need a set of the "light" 250 front springs, but other than that, really, is there anything besides lining up the motor and tranny mounts? I should be able to make do with the existing fuel lines, whether or not I can still use the mechanical fuel pump or not is doubtful, but...

I'm hoping that guy comes through and I can sell, then I'll just continue to get by with that 4.6 until it finally gives out, or maybe just do an overhaul instead of a major build. I don't know. That 460 is going with the C6 tranny with B&M transkit and a 9" Detroit Locker. The guy wants to put it into a '95 Ranger using one of those swap kits. He'll twist that frame into a pretzel the first time he mashes the gas if they don't adequately reinforce the frame, but--not my problem. He wants tons of "sleepereable" power and torque, that BB will do it.

Klitch 07-01-2009 12:41 PM

I understand you already have this motor, I really do know what your thought process and logic is on that part.

im not sure the LD f250 had heavier front torsions, they might be the long ones like under the most 97-98's though.

space wise, yeah you can stuff it and you will need to build your own mounts.

i would use the in tank fuel pump myself.

heres the problem with the 9", and only problem i have with the 9" is the lack of a tone ring for ABS (great for hauling wouldn't you say?) and i think it was a little over an inch narrower than the 8.8/9.75. I think i seen someone offers a 9" that can accept a tone ring though.

I agree you're probably overlooking the fact that motor sat for 20 years, we dont know the environment it sat in but usually its not nice to these motors.

JMC 07-01-2009 12:43 PM

As for fitting, the 460 will fit. As was mentioned you will have to fab up the mounts but the 460 is actually a little narrower than the 4.6. The major problem will be fitting the ZF tranny in the tunnel. The ZF is taller than the Mazda 5 speed and the shift tower will hit. That may create drive line angle problems. I don't know if you can lower the engine enough to keep the tranny in line. I would get out the tape measure. ;)

MitchF150 07-01-2009 12:58 PM

You'd have a hard time with emissions/registration/insurance maybe??

But seeing that you are in SD, you probably don't have any of the above! Ha, ha!

Technically, fed law prohibits the installation of an older engine in a newer frame going back to probably the early/mid 80's. If the frame is older then that, then you can do whatever you want...

Regardless of all of that, if someone can squeeze a V10 into an F150, I'd think the 460 would go in.... Hell, I've read about mid 80's Mustangs with 460's shoe horned under that little hood!

Just a matter of how much time, $$, fabrication and ingenuity skills you or a buddy has...;)

Other considerations off the top of my head would be that you'd have to fab up your own gauge cluster and probably a variety of wire harnesses for the other electrical needs.

Sounds like a nice project for a mid 70's F150 reg cab short box! Now that thing would move! Or if you can find one, I'd love to see that motor in a '54 F1.

As far as the motor sitting for all that time, I saw an episode on GEARS where they found a mid 70's straight six Chevy motor still in it's crate that was found and Stacey went all thru it to replace gaskets, seals and such....

Anyway, good luck and maybe the guy that's looking to buy it has a nice home for it too!

Good luck either way!

Mitch

HillsOttfam 07-03-2009 12:16 PM

When was the last year of the 460? I thought it was like '95, but I just saw an ad for a '97 with a 460 in it. Could it have been a '96 1/2? If it was truly a '97, I could grab the works out of it and use my long-block--the only problem is that it has an auto in it:(. I hate A/T's, especially in a truck.

glc 07-03-2009 01:41 PM

97 was the last year, but it was not used in the 97-03 F-150 body style. I believe it was only offered in the 97 F-250HD and up, which is the old body style.

HillsOttfam 07-03-2009 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 3788387)
97 was the last year, but it was not used in the 97-03 F-150 body style. I believe it was only offered in the 97 F-250HD and up, which is the old body style.

Thanks. I would assume it HAD to have had a 5 speed as an option available?

This is actually getting interesting. The more I look into the possibilities, the more seriously I'm considering it...

glc 07-04-2009 02:49 AM

Yes, but the ZF 5 speed won't fit in the tunnel of a 97+ F-150 as JMC said.

Klitch 07-04-2009 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 3789139)
Yes, but the ZF 5 speed won't fit in the tunnel of a 97+ F-150 as JMC said.

says the guy without a big hammer.

code58 07-04-2009 04:15 AM

I would use the in tank fuel pump myself.
Don't think you'd want to run that electric fuel pump, at 35-40 lbs. pressure into a carb. :eek: