Power Steering pump replacement 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering pump replacement 5.4L

Anyone have any suggestions? Power steering pump went out on my 01 Supercrew. Removed the old pump, removed the pulley and went and purchased a new pump. While pressing the pulley onto the new pump, it shattered the back of the pump out, not to mention dethreading the press kit bolt. I've only assisted in a couple of these operations in the past, but I've never seen a pulley so difficult to press on. Got another pump, and a friend used a press to attempt to put it on(since the kit press was screwed) and it shattered the back out yet again, even tho it was flat against almost and inch of steel. And the pulley still wasn't on! Anyone run into this crap before? Tomorrow I'm headed to the junkyard to get a used on with the pulley already in place, but I'm thinking there's a difference in the pulley shaft size, even tho the pump looks the same.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:55 PM
You have to use a power steering pulley installer kit, you can pick one of these up just about anywhere, the reason the back is shattering is because the shaft is not meant to be forced back when you are putting the pulley on, the kit includes a threaded bolt that srews into the shaft of the power steering pump, if you have a good quality kit (snap-on, blue point, otc) it will go on with no problem what so ever, but remeber to put a little oil on the shaft before installed the pulley

Old 06-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I had the special installer. It screws into the shaft and presses the pulley on. But it stripped the threads right off of that. As well as the nifty little bolt that came with the pump. I'm thinking that the only real difference between the smaller V8 and the 5.4 is the pump shaft diameter. Hence why the 5.4 wasn't fitting. After calling around, you can purchase the smaller V8 pulley from Napa and Advance Auto, but the 5.4 pulley can only be purchased from Ford. I don't know. I just went out and bought a junkyard pump with the stinking pulley already on it. I've never had such an issue getting a pulley on.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by OBXwolf
Yeah, I had the special installer. It screws into the shaft and presses the pulley on.
you are doing something seriously wrong then. if the back shatters its because you dropped it, or beat the pulley on with a hammer, or tried pushing all your weight onto it. otherwise using the pulley installer tool will put no pressure what so ever onto the pump. all the pressure is put on the pulley and the front of the shaft where the pulley is pressed onto. and the pumps were exactly the same for that year for each engine.

Last edited by Matts ford; 06-24-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering pump replacement 5.4L