Knocking noise V8 5.4L Triton

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definately get a second opinion. If they only listened to it and determined it needs a new engine is total BS. If they did proper diag, they should be able to show you print outs of what the problem is and that print out should also have your VIN on it to show that it is your vehicle report that you are looking at. As for a Ford Service Rep, keep calling them and bugging them to help you. Remember the squeeky wheel gets the grease! Don't give up.

One thing you can try to isolate where the sound is coming from is get yourself a mechanics stethoscope and listen to your engine, just like the doctor does to listen to your ticker. Move it around to where the ticking sound(s) is the loudest in your ear through the scope and that will tell you where the problem is narrowing down your probable failure. Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 PM
yea do that there are several people on here that know alot about these engines and could possibly tell you what it is just by hearing it. 8300? that must be crack prices. i think for 8 grand i could change the engine myself if i had to.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:55 PM
For $8300, I would just buy a new vehicle and the new vehicle comes with a warranty.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Expedition10
Ok, just got back from the dealer.....this is BS...their diagnostic was....they listened to it...WTH...and decided it has "something" broke at the top and the bottom. the sound from the bottom sounds like an echo from the top. I am having it towed this afternoon to a local repair shop. If it does need a motor, IF, the local shop has the same warranty 3 yrs/100,000 and the order from Jasper. Anyone know anything about Jasper?

No smoke, no water, except what comes from the A/C, no oil leak. Full power, just knocking sound. When you lay your hand on top of the engine you can feel the knock.

Will keep y'all updated. Sorry this thread has gotten so long. Thanks to all of y'all for the advice.

LYNN
Jasper is Fords engine rebuilder..

Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
LOL, I wish I could afford to buy a new one. Ditched the repair shop that was $8300...it is getting towed to the shop that does repairs for the trucking company I work for. At least their I can get the owner on the phone and find out what the heck is going on. When I described it to him he said it sounded like a rocker arm was loose. And the saga continues....LOL

Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Ok, just got back from the dealer.....this is BS...their diagnostic was....they listened to it...WTH...and decided it has "something" broke at the top and the bottom. the sound from the bottom sounds like an echo from the top. I am having it towed this afternoon to a local repair shop. If it does need a motor, IF, the local shop has the same warranty 3 yrs/100,000 and the order from Jasper. Anyone know anything about Jasper?
jasper is good. but they use to have some warranty issues. not necessarily alot of engine issues but the way they take care of it. it use to be either the drivers fault or the installers fault(and most of the time the installer isnt going to take the blame). they say they changed that alot. and so far we have had 1 tranny issue and they took care of it well under warranty, so maybe you'll be alright. right now i have a jasper reman 5.0 in my truck and i can honestly say that i like it alot so far(put it in january last year, has 14000 miles on it).

Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't tell them you're having it towed until the tow truck shows up. I don't trust crooks very much

Old 06-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey Matt, ditched that plan, if it need a new engine they wanted $8300. The dealer was $5200. So it should be gone from the dealer by now and on it's way to another repair shop. That will actually take off the valve cover and see what the I the heck is going on.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Tumba, i hear ya, I am waiting until I make sure it is gone from the dealer then I am going to calll the service manager and raise h.... $252 to tow it in and listen to it. REALLY!

Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tumba, i hear ya, I am waiting until I make sure it is gone from the dealer then I am going to calll the service manager and raise h.... $252 to tow it in and listen to it. REALLY!
Wow, I feel really bad for you, they are giving you the run around!.....Just make sure that you find out the exact source of the knocking before makin the decision for a new engine. Jasper engines are good from what I have heard......Good luck!......

Old 06-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Wow, I feel really bad for you, they are giving you the run around!.....Just make sure that you find out the exact source of the knocking before makin the decision for a new engine. Jasper engines are good from what I have heard......Good luck!......
I appreciate it. That was one reason I asked y'all all these questions before taking it in...I didn't want to get the run around. I most certainly will not deal with this dealership or service dept again. The people that have it now do work for the company I work for so I trust them, they don't think it is the engine. He's gonna pull the valve cover and see what's up. I wish I had done this in the first place, instead of wasting my time on the dealer.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Talking

WOOHOO...Just got a call from the repair shop. The valve covers need to be replaced. He said a plastic assembly on the underside of the right valve cover, that is attached with adhesive, had fallen off and down on top of the valves, and the noise was the valve knocking around that assembly.
What a relief! He said the engine was fine, doesn't even need a tune up. They will have it ready for me to pick up Tues. YES!!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Definately good new? Congrats to you for not having to spend $5300.

After you get your Expy back and she is purring like a kitten I would go back to the dealer and give both the dealer general manager and the service manager an earfull about their diagnosis and ask them if that's how they do business! Even though your problem was resolved by another repair shop, I would call Ford Customer Care and complain to them about your experience at the Ford dealer. Ford Customer Care won't be able to do anything for you now but it may raise a red flag with them for future complaints with that dealers service dept.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:14 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Make SURE you get pictures of what the problem really was and take them with you to the dealer - and when you get to the dealer, go right to the owner or GM, don't even mess with the service department. If they give you crap, go to the local media. I would push real hard for a refund of the tow and diagnostic bill.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I am not even going to wait until I get her back. I am calling today and I am calling the BBB. I found out last night a friend of mine had taken his Expy in to the same dealer for a Tramission problem. They told him he needed a new transmission. He took it to another shop and they told him he had some trash in the transmission line and it would work it's way out, sure enough it worked it's way out and it was fine. It sounds like this is SOP for this dealership. Can I post the name of the dealership so others can be forewarned?

Quick Reply: Knocking noise V8 5.4L Triton