F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   2000 navigator 5.4l engine (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/366911-2000-navigator-5-4l-engine.html)

rhislo 02-28-2009 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Quintin (Post 3612250)
I'll never understand why so many people have a hard on for DOHC 5.4 liters.

There's a reason why that engine ain't used in Ford trucks and SUVs any more...Because it sucked.

ETA - Before the diehards tie me to a stake and burn me alive, let me expound a little further. IMO, for the effort involved in just getting the engine into the truck (it's a really big, really wide package), wiring it and getting it working properly, I think you can do just as good if not better power-wise with a well thought out 5.4 2V for the same or less money, with less effort. It'll be easier to work on in the truck, everything will line up and bolt up perfectly, and you can still make solid, reliable power with the 2V.

THAT'S IT!!!!

RELEASE THE LIONS!!!!:devil:

Quintin 02-28-2009 07:22 PM

Better tell 'em to get in line. I've had people bitching at me and threatening to kick my ass for far worse than that all my life. ;)

minimonster17 02-28-2009 07:44 PM

rhislo, fyi, the 97-98 5.4 F-150 w/ the E4OD has the longer torsion bars. the extra length is what compensates for the bigger E4OD transmission, and clears the torsion bar crossmember from the transfer case. Swapping torsion bars isn't that big of a deal, if that's what you're worried about...

Silver Thunder 02-28-2009 08:45 PM

umm well someone correct me if im wrong but im sure that built54's truck is a 2v :D. What do yall have to say about that? and dont say because its fully built. 2v's and just as much potential as 4v's :lurk:

phil6608 03-01-2009 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Thunder (Post 3612382)
umm well someone correct me if im wrong but im sure that built54's truck is a 2v :D. What do yall have to say about that? and dont say because its fully built. 2v's and just as much potential as 4v's :lurk:

I would have to agree with that statment!:rocker:
Plus you have the option to run any of the best blowers.
The Eaton M112 stock or 5 stages of porting.
The Kenne Bell 2.3-2.6 and 2.8 coming soon.
The Whipple 2.3 and 3.4 all of witch will bolt right on the stock L intake manifold.:banana:

Phil:D

rhislo 03-01-2009 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by minimonster17 (Post 3612312)
rhislo, fyi, the 97-98 5.4 F-150 w/ the E4OD has the longer torsion bars. the extra length is what compensates for the bigger E4OD transmission, and clears the torsion bar crossmember from the transfer case. Swapping torsion bars isn't that big of a deal, if that's what you're worried about...

Cool...Thanks for the clarification. Just wanted to know what other trucks I could pull the parts from if I were to do the swap. I figured swapping out the bars wasn't too bad, its just if you're changing length...then you're also in the market for Driveshafts as well...And exhaust crossover pipe.

coobies5 03-01-2009 02:25 AM

i'll be asking questions once i get closer to having the funds for a 4v 5.4 navi too
since im 4x4 and all i'll have other questions.

s1037s 03-01-2009 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by jbrew (Post 3611059)
BTW - Those engines aren't cheap. This one comes w/trans, but it's a 2WD. Without the trans it's probably worth about 3500. -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280314424430

Holy cow! 3500? I got mine for 500 plus 300 shipping, 20k miles on it and in excellent shape.2-4% avg leakdown, still has factory crosshatching in the bores, clean as a whistle. guess i just got lucky! Now I'm saving for a quartet of comp cams before i put it in the truck. also i am designing some modular motor tools to help average joes to time their cams while the engine is still in the truck or car.

minimonster17 03-01-2009 04:51 PM

rhislo, fyi, the longer torsion bars are spring code 7. i swapped the longer bars into my 4R70W equipped F-150 to stiffen the front suspension (they are thicker in the middle, as well as longer...) they swap directly, and all the stock hardware is reused. the frame should be predrilled for the crossmember relocation.

also, tell me more about converting a manual shift transfer case to electric shift. i am planning a 4R100 swap someday to go along w/ my Lightning swap, and need as much info as you know, thanks. how much of an electrical nightmare is it, and how far do you have to tear into the transfer case?

btw, you can extend your stock front driveshaft, and shorten your stock rear driveshaft. a driveshaft shop can easily do so via cutting the driveshafts' ends off, and welding in new sections of pipe between them for much cheaper than buying new ones.

rhislo 03-02-2009 02:45 AM

Thanks for the spring code info...good to know. Yes, I did notice the provisions in the frame to relocate the torsion mount crossmember back a few inches to accomodate the longer arms.

On the MSOF to ESOF conversion... going from memory... It wasn't so much an electrical nightmare as it was a parts procurement nightmare. You need to get 1) a radio bezel that supports the 4wd switch as well as the switch itself. 2) the wiring and connector that goes to that switch. 3) the harness that runs along the floorpan that connects to the transfer case. 4) the GEM (Generic Electronic Module) because your manual shift xfer case truck's GEM is not equipped with the internal logic circuit and relays/switches that receive the 4wd select switch (on the radio bezel) input and process it in order to move the electrical motor that is on the transfer case. 5) the shift solenoids which mount under the dashboard (and their harness/connectors). Pretty much all of the "new" wiring goes to the GEM, so when you get the harnesses ultimately you'd want the harness with wiring all the way to the GEM.:eek: By the time I figured all that out I threw in my hat and figured converting a 97 F150 4x4 with a 4.6L and MSOF xfer case to a 5.4L NAVI setup with ESOF just didn't match the time I was willing to dedicate to it. Told myself I'd save the NAVI swap for something a little newer and with ESOF (and hopefully already a 4R100:rolleyes:).

I would love to know if there are any E4OD/4R100's mated to a Manual shift xfer case. If so, then it must use a different shifter mechanism because the shifter mechanism that bolts to the 4R70W will NOT bolt up to the 4R100.

As far as tearing into the case...you would need to get a used ESOF transfer case. Reason is the MSOF xfer moves the internal shift linkage from the front of the case whereas the ESOF xfer moves the internal linkage from the rear of the xfer case.

As far as the front and rear DS lengths go, I recall pricing the front ones for around $75. One from any 97-2003 F150, expi, or Navi with the E4OD/4R100 would work. I figured I'd be able to find a rear DS for about the same, but would go the resize route if necessary.

stoffer 03-02-2009 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by rhislo (Post 3612143)
SO just for future reference (Cause I have a low mileage 2000 Navi DOHC engine w/ trans, transfer, harness, accessories, and PCM in my garage) The E4OD equipped 98's then would already have the longer torsion arms, and the torsion arm support located further back? If so, I'll add that truck configuration to my list of possible trucks to put my NAVI setup in!

YOU NEED TO MAINTAIN THE ECM FOR THE TRANS YOU USE!!!!!!

just want to ensure you understand that the trans and ECU must match, as long as you are not running a 3 valve with VTC you keep your current ECM if you use your existing trans

JMC 03-02-2009 10:15 AM

1997-1998 F-250 LD could be had with the manual t-case. Look for XL versions of these as they were the most likely to be work trucks with rubber carpet and manual shift t-case.

RayD 03-02-2009 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by rhislo (Post 3614360)
I would love to know if there are any E4OD/4R100's mated to a Manual shift xfer case.

Gas Super Dutys are another possible donor for the transmission. I'm not sure if the F150 shifter will bolt up but I'm sure one of the shifters or a combination of parts could be made to work.

rhislo 03-03-2009 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by tarajerame (Post 3614484)
YOU NEED TO MAINTAIN THE ECM FOR THE TRANS YOU USE!!!!!!

just want to ensure you understand that the trans and ECU must match, as long as you are not running a 3 valve with VTC you keep your current ECM if you use your existing trans

Absolutely!! The way I understood it was the PCM is hard coded for a specific transmission. The engine program (tune) can be modified, but NOT the trans program.

My point was that for the mechanical side (Since I wanted to use the NAVI trans with the NAVI engine) any 97-03 4x4 F150 that already had the E4OD or 4R100 would more easily accept my eng and trans...I wouldn't have to do anything with the torsion mt & arms, wouldn't need different length Driveshafts, and my NAVI exhaust crossover pipe would bolt right up.

rhislo 03-03-2009 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by JMC (Post 3614565)
1997-1998 F-250 LD could be had with the manual t-case. Look for XL versions of these as they were the most likely to be work trucks with rubber carpet and manual shift t-case.

Ahhh...OK! So this tells me that there is another configuration for the shifter itself that bolts up to these E4OD transmissions.

Originally Posted by RayD (Post 3615795)
Gas Super Dutys are another possible donor for the transmission. I'm not sure if the F150 shifter will bolt up but I'm sure one of the shifters or a combination of parts could be made to work.

Super Duty applications....that widens the search pool as well...Thanks!