Quarts of Oil in a 2004 5.4 ??

Old 03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Now that's thinking with yer dipstick, Jimmy!"

7 Quarts of oil, one Motorcraft filter, one scratched up forearm. I need a different oil filter wrench.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 PM
speaking of fram filters, has anyone ever experienced or known someone who has had problems using fram filters? the reason i ask is because my motor has a ticking sound while running all of the time. 3 ticks per second. have a guy that works at a ford dealership look at it one afternoon after work and the first thing he asked me was "have you ever used a fram oil filter on this motor"? i said "yeah, a couple of times". he went on to explain with the 5.4L 3V motors, that he has seen where the oil filter came apart and put some trash or something in the engine. the ticking noise is on the back of the motor where he said one of the oil holes is clogged and is starving this one cylinder of oil, which is causing my camshaft senor to keep coming up and saying that it is bad. he gave me a price to fix and a price for a new motor. has anyone experienced this or heard about it? thanks

jason

Old 02-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
7 quarts / 6.6L puts me right at the halfway mark on the crosshatches - right where it should be.

Cheers!

MGD v4.1

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-26-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Quacka
speaking of fram filters, has anyone ever experienced or known someone who has had problems using fram filters? the reason i ask is because my motor has a ticking sound while running all of the time. 3 ticks per second. have a guy that works at a ford dealership look at it one afternoon after work and the first thing he asked me was "have you ever used a fram oil filter on this motor"? i said "yeah, a couple of times". he went on to explain with the 5.4L 3V motors, that he has seen where the oil filter came apart and put some trash or something in the engine. the ticking noise is on the back of the motor where he said one of the oil holes is clogged and is starving this one cylinder of oil, which is causing my camshaft senor to keep coming up and saying that it is bad. he gave me a price to fix and a price for a new motor. has anyone experienced this or heard about it? thanks

jason
I wouldnt use a Fram filter on anything, from what I understand is they dont have pressure relief valves. If the filter gets clogged the motor gets no oil...dirty oil is better than no oil

their "spend a little now or a lot later" is not paying for the quality of the filter, its for the grip thing and all the advertising.

Motocraft is the way to go

Old 02-26-2010, 07:05 PM
7qt full synth... firestone filter(work for them)

$16.15 for a full synth!!! ha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quarts of Oil in a 2004 5.4 ??