Suggestions on gutting out fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on gutting out fuel tank

Alright so im in the process of puting a built non fuel injected 302 into an 89 f150 short bed regular cab. Im running a fuel pump off the motor for now and because of that i need to gut my gas tank. Anybody have any suggestions on doing this?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:31 PM
what are you gonna gut out of the tank? i can understand if theres rust and all and that it needs to be cleaned out, but all thats in there(or suppose to be in there) is the pump.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Yea im supposed to take the stock electric pump out of the tank because the pump is going to be feeding my carb way to much fuel. If i remember right (correct me if im wrong) the stock pump in there puts out around 35 to 40psi of fuel. for a carb set up you only need around 6psi. So i need to figure out how im going to take my fuel pump out of the tank and run new lines in the tank. got any ideas?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Just drop the tank and remove the fuel pump/fuel sending unit combo. It is readily accessible on the top of the tank. Then, replace with a sending unit from a carburated Ford truck. The hole in the top of the tank has not changed in years. No biggie, and no need to tear a tank apart. One further word of advice...have the tank as close to empty as possible before you take it down, it will be MUCH lighter! A neat trick I read about on the forum here is to pull the fuel line going to your engine, place the engine end of it in a gas can and hook up a battery to the existing in tank fuel pump. The fuel will pump right out.

Mike

Last edited by mrainey889; 02-02-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Further consideration
Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Cant you just change your fuel preasure regulater to bring it down to 6psi.. And keep the pump ???

Quick Reply: Suggestions on gutting out fuel tank