2006 F150 4.6 Vibration/rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like the EGR is stuck open the new electronic ones were known to be full of Fail.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I have a 2006 with the 4.6 and mine also has the rough idle although it doesn't do it all the time. I only have 20,000 miles on mine.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by TxNessie84
I have a 2006 with the 4.6 and mine also has the rough idle although it doesn't do it all the time. I only have 20,000 miles on mine.
pull the EGR valve off and clean it. its likely hung open with a piece of gunk. if not i have a new one in the garage

Old 01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
keep us informed

Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 AM
when i got to the dealer I got the same old run around. I told the tech that the truck is still idle very rough so he brought the ride along guy. Both of them looked at the truck, saw the seats vibrating like crazy and said it was normal. So needless to say I hit the roof and made those idiots pull up another 4.6L f150 right next to mine in the service center and do a side by side comparison. After the comparison, they both knew they were wrong and said, "your right, thats not normal". So i left the truck with them for the weekend and told them if it is not fixed when i pick it up then I am going all the way to the top of the service department and will be the biggest pain in the a$$ ever. As for the PCM flash, I told them to do one and the tech did not print it on the work order, he hand wrote it on the top of the page because "this work order goes to Ford, so I will work it out with my service guys". Thats a big red flag to me but also something I can hang over these morons heads when I get the truck back today and its not fixed. Will keep you guys posted.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Long story short, the truck still shakes. I went over the service tech head to the top guy in the service department names Jim Sutton. This guy was worthless just like everone else. I asked them if they did a PCM flash and they said no, so I said that I wouldnt leave until they did it right in front of me. So they did with no change....I talked to the tech while he was flashing my PCM and he said that he sees this stuff all the time and that this trully was the way the truck was ment to run. I still think it's bullsh@t but what can I do? Should I go to another dealer? Arent they going to tell me the same thing? Does anyone know a GOOD service center in South Florida? Or Florida for that matter? Thanks Guys

Moto

Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Time to contact Zone service. Get them to send a rep out to the dealership to look at your truck. Start talking lemon law. You should not even be able to feel or hear an unmodified V-8 idle.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not quite

Originally Posted by kody_holman02
check the co2 sensors, thats what was wrong with mine,all of our company trucks had to have the catelytic converters changed in them because they were all plugged up at about 40,000 kms. also injectors, or spark plugs too, there is alot of little things that can go wrong with these trucks that will make them run rough. pop off your plug wires and see if they are coroded up at all because with a bad connection you wont get a full spark if any at all. changeyour fuel filter, bad bunch of gas could have caused it to plug up.
His truck does not have "plug wires". It uses COPs.
Hound the dealership, that motor should run smooth as glass. Empty the tank and run a half tank or premium and some concentrated fuel injector cleaner like Lucas or Chevron.
Have the Catalytic converters checked if you like, but a rough idle is most likely a result of an ignition issue, vacuum leak, or the IAC as others have mentioned.

Last edited by malexander52; 01-13-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Time to contact Zone service. Get them to send a rep out to the dealership to look at your truck. Start talking lemon law. You should not even be able to feel or hear an unmodified V-8 idle.
I would but I bought the truck as a "certified pre-owned" deal so I dont think the lemon law can apply or can it? Also how tough is it to pull off the EGR to clean it? The dealer told me not to run injector cleaner in the motor becuase it would do more harm then good. What is Zone service exactly?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Motocros19
I would but I bought the truck as a "certified pre-owned" deal so I dont think the lemon law can apply or can it? Also how tough is it to pull off the EGR to clean it? The dealer told me not to run injector cleaner in the motor becuase it would do more harm then good. What is Zone service exactly?
a 15/16" wrench and two 10mm bolts

Old 01-14-2009, 06:46 PM
im going to school for a week if goes planned with the city. ill be in orlando end of the month for a week. dont know how far that is from u but i could take a look at it if the issue is not resolved

Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Faster150
im going to school for a week if goes planned with the city. ill be in orlando end of the month for a week. dont know how far that is from u but i could take a look at it if the issue is not resolved
Hey Faster, TY for the offer however orlando is about 3 hours north from where I am from. I am going to try andf clean the EGR and see what happens. Thanks Again.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
I am not sure if my issue is exactly the same as yours but I had something similar with my 05 5.4l fx4 brought it in and it ended up being the fuel injector in #6 cylinder, instead of a fine mist being injected, it was basically just dropping fuel into the cylinder which than was causing my misfiring and they rough idle and shaking.(they replaced for free..Ford extended the warranty because of these type of injector issues aren't typical in ford engines and has become common in some f150's (more common in GM) great news since it would have cost approx $600 to replace. Like I said not sure if your issue is the same but it might be worth checking out

Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 AM
06' F150 Rough idle

I just bought a 06' F150 that has the same rough idle problems when stopped. it only has 38k miles. Has anybody found a solution to this problem yet? I get the same run around from the dealership and they say that "nothing is wrong", because it doesn't show up on the computer....I told them forget the computer, can't you clearly see that something is wrong? I told them i need a MECHANIC not a COMPUTER TECHNICIAN!...but they still tried telling me nothing was wrong. I ran the concentrated fuel system cleaner, i checked each individual fuel injector by pulling the plug on each to see if there was any that did not change how the engine ran, i checked all the coils and the spark plugs, i light tested each connector to make sure they were getting signal, and still no change in the rough idle problem....Has anybody found a solution yet?...or is this just how it is??

Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by saabgee
I just bought a 06' F150 that has the same rough idle problems when stopped. it only has 38k miles. Has anybody found a solution to this problem yet? I get the same run around from the dealership and they say that "nothing is wrong", because it doesn't show up on the computer....I told them forget the computer, can't you clearly see that something is wrong? I told them i need a MECHANIC not a COMPUTER TECHNICIAN!...but they still tried telling me nothing was wrong. I ran the concentrated fuel system cleaner, i checked each individual fuel injector by pulling the plug on each to see if there was any that did not change how the engine ran, i checked all the coils and the spark plugs, i light tested each connector to make sure they were getting signal, and still no change in the rough idle problem....Has anybody found a solution yet?...or is this just how it is??
I have not, if there is anyone out there with a solution it would be greatly appreciated. I cleaned the EGR and still have the rough idle too

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 4.6 Vibration/rough Idle