Lisle Tool Queston sp plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lisle Tool Queston sp plugs

So I took on the adventure of changing the spark plugs on my 04 F150 w/ 80K miles on it. Followed the TSB and broke 5 out the 8. Waited to order a tool as I thought I might make a tool if I only broke one, but being that I have 5 nuisances to deal with I ordered the Lisle tool from Amazon last night at a good price. I understand the tool pushes the porcelain down to allow threading of the shield to allow extraction. My question is when the porcelain is broken off in the sheild and the electrode broke in the porcelain, does the electrode need to come out before pushing down the porcelain (with the Lisle) or just leave it in? I know the tool will have instructions, but since I have the holiday and delivery service will be lost for a day or so I might as well use that time to extract the electrodes if required.

Also, when putting the di-electric grease on the COP's, do you put the grease inside the metal connector or around the outside of the metal connector between the rubber and connector? Or both?

Also, the anti-seize I purchased is the high temperature copper formula. Do you think this will work as well as the nickel type? It is good for over 2000F and is safe for O2 sensors, etc. Just don't want to set up a corrosion issue or anything.

Thanks and wish you all Happy Holidays & a Merry Christamas!:santa:

Old 12-24-2008, 10:41 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The only anti-seize you should use is the nickel. There is always a reason for the specification.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
The only anti-seize you should use is the nickel. There is always a reason for the specification.
Agreed. People keep trying to use different solvents, carb cleaners, etc and the plugs break. They try to use different anti-sieze and I bet there will be problems. You need to follow the TSB explicitly.

Quick Reply: Lisle Tool Queston sp plugs