Crank wont spin...

Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank wont spin...

I dropped my 5.4 engine and trans in, no fluids in anything...I tried spinning the crank to spin the flywheel to get to the studs coming from the torque converter but it wont spin! I tried it in park, nuetral and in gear nothing worked. I dont know what i did but i cannot get the flywheel or crank to budge. It DID spin minutes before i dropped it in, i know the engine is not locked up, its an 02 with 90k on it... Again i do not know if it matters but its 4x4 no drive shafts are in right now, there is not fluid in the tcase, transmissin or engine...can aaannnyyonee tell me what im missing?

never ends!

Last edited by FRod; 11-19-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesnt matter what gear the trans is in, torque converter allows you to spin. . . Its probably just caught on a compression stroke, maybe try going back the other way or make sure your going the right way in the first place

Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 AM
the torque converter bolts that go through the flywheel seem too long for some reason, they are hitting the back of the engine and metal gasket...why would this be? i didnt even tighen the nuts on all the way. I removed the bolts from the trani again and it was free again. Its getting jammed in there . Why is this? Its the same engine that went with the transmission AND torque converter...is there some sort of spacer thats supposed to go on the torque converter for the 5.4s? because my 4.6 didnt have it.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:55 AM
and not the metal spacer between the engine and trans, but a spacer maybe behind the bolts on the torque converter

Old 11-19-2008, 05:17 AM
here is a picture of inside the starter hole , and the opening between the oil pan and bell housing. You can see how far the flywheel comes out off the engine if that helps you determine if its the flywheel, but there is no play in the flywheel of course. The torque converter stud hits the metal spacer, and im sure some hit the back of the engine... It almost seems like the flywheel is not out far enough, or the torque converter requires some sort of spacer on the back side?? Do they have spacers? The flywheel cant be bent it never hit the floor...

HERE IS INSIDE THE STARTER WHOLE, BOLT ITS THE METAL SPACER

HERE IS THE OPENING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BELL HOUSING BETWEEN THAT AND THE OIL PAN

AND HERE IS HOW FAR IT STICKS OUT PAST THE BELL HOUSING

I really hope that helps you guys. I am out of ideas i do not see what i did wrong, this is some sorta freak ****!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Pull the trans again and fully seat the torque converter into the pump. Keep pushing in and spinning the torque converter, it looks like it's not fully engaged in the pump. And it's a good thing you didn't start the engine like that, it probably would have ruined the torque converter and/or pump. Ask me how I know...

Old 11-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Suspended
Exactly what he said I thought of last night. The torque converter is not dogged in. There is two little slits on either side of the torque converter shaft, those HAVE to line up with the pump inside the trans. You cant see them getting engaged, but you feel it while your spinning the TC and it suddenly slides in even further. Upon start up, granted those bolts ahd a little bit of space, that TC would have ripped the two dogs off the front pump and there woulda went your trans.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:24 AM
haha ya it took me a few hours but i figured that out ONLY because i still have my old trans and torque converter! Yeah i seperated the trans and engine a tinny bit, spun the crank pulley while my buddy was at the bottom with a flat nose prying till it flew into place and slid back about a 1/2 inch which was allll i needed! I feel like a jack a s s

Old 11-19-2008, 11:27 AM
just for the hel l of it, how doooo you know? Didnt you realize something was wrong when you tried spinning the flywheel to get the TC nuts on the studs? Its been said, not pointing any fingures (camarothatcould) that compression locked it up...uhhh...no... Because if you cant spin it with a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt and a 1/2 ratchet, your starter aint gonna turn it over...and somethings wrong...LIVE YA LEARN!!! (just givin you a hard time camarothatcould i do appriciate ya giving me a helping hand, everyime.)

Old 11-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Suspended
Old 11-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got in a rush, got the trans in, totally forgot the torque converter nuts, filled the trans and lit 'er off. Broke the flexplate.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:46 PM
How bout this...
Watched a kid across the street pull a motor from a dodge truck without pulling the torque converter nuts and one of the bellhousing bolts (?)
Ended up breaking an ear of the tranny. Had to remove everything and have the bellhousing welded.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM
haha hey now im not that stupid...Thats what you call a "Stoner move" right there. What, did he think he was going to pull everything out at once or is he just a door ****

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crank wont spin...