F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Pinging??? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/349668-pinging.html)

08 Ford 150 10-19-2008 12:35 PM

Pinging???

I have a 08 f150 with a 5.4 l engine. I acn not run my truck without 93 oct. fuel. Is anybody else having a problem with pinging? I am looking into buying a tuner one i get my exhaust, cold air intake done. Is this a problem I should contact my dealership?

glc 10-19-2008 01:40 PM

A stock truck should not ping on 87 octane fuel. Being that you are on warranty, I'd talk to the dealer. Get it fixed BEFORE you start modding it, if you bring a modded truck in with any kind of complaint like that, it probably will not be covered.

SFM 10-19-2008 01:55 PM

I have this same problem on my '07 5.4 ... Have had it to the dealer twice.. They tell me their are no codes.. no tsb .. so nothing they can do...

Problem shows itself at partial throttle between 30 and 40 M.P.H. .. I live in at teh top of a hill in a neighborhood where the speed limit is 35.. Every time I'm kreeping up the hill to my street part throttle.. I notice it.

4.6 Punisher 10-19-2008 02:29 PM

No pinging here, and now I only use 89 or 93.

Gotts2BMe 10-19-2008 03:29 PM

Take it to the dealer and tell them you are getting spark knock on anything other than 93 octane and tell them you want a reflash

08 Ford 150 10-19-2008 05:51 PM

Thanks

dadoftwo 10-19-2008 06:47 PM

I have an 08 with the 4.6 V8 and 87 octane and no ping.

SFM 10-26-2008 11:22 AM

Thought I'd bring this back up and give an update.. I took my truck to a different dealer this past week and gave them the same info..

Happy to say the service people at this dealership are way more involved.. They took the truck and said they'd check it out.. Couple of hours later I got a call saying they were working on the problem.. I also mentioned I didn't like the way the truck shifted... Especially getting on the gas hard after just rolling along.. Like coming out of a parking lot.. No prob.. they said they would work with the shift strategy... Then something odd happened... They mentioned they noticed my F150 badge on my driverside fender weas chipping.. They would replace it.. I also mentioned my dash over the passenger air bag looks a little warped.. They said they'd look at it... Couple hours later they call me again.. badge replaced, trim pieces/air bag ordered for passenger side.. shift strategy's updated.... pcm flashed... WOW! They actually listened!

So I pick the truck up at 5.. They tell me they'll call me when the trim pieces arrive.. They also tell me to pay attention for any more pinging and see if I like the new shift strategy... They'll call me when they get a loaner, so I won't be truckless for the day... And they mention if I don't like the shifting they have more, just let them know what I want it to do.. Great customer service!!!!

To any that want to know.. the first dealership was Crossroads Ford.. that's where I bought the truck.. Have to say at this point I cannot recommend their service dept. for anything, but they will give you a good deal!

As for service, Dobbs Ford is #1.. They really payed attention to what I said and actually tried to fix my problem...

08 Ford 150 10-27-2008 04:49 PM

Thanks.......I heard ford was having some problems with the trannies.......I guess we will see..

Rambler69 10-28-2008 09:34 AM

Pinging too

I have 98 4.6 that pings or knocks at the high revs is that normal. I thought there a device called an antiknock sensor to prevent this. could this caused by opening up the exhaust? I have a magnaflow muffler with duel outlets? It makes noe difference if I run regular or premium gas.