Emergency Stealership Question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency Stealership Question!

If someone takes a car to a dealership that is under extended warranty.. and lets say drop it off at 7 AM... then call at 11:45am and ask if they have any update on it and they say they are looking and need an hour or two and they will call you... 5 hours go by and no call... should you call up there again or does this just bug them? and also, do they charge by the hour for finding a problem? I hope he doesnt end up with a 600$ labor charge just to find out what needs to happen to his truck, then ADD the fixing deductible on top of that or even more if it isnt covered... ugh

Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
it depends. if its something that needs something like a tuneup then you have to pay for it. if its a probelm like an engine or part of the engine(or tranny, etc) then the diagnostics and labor should be under warranty. if its a wearable item then you have to pay for it.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:20 PM
alright i just got a call from my friend who said that the dealership said the ticking is valve noises and ware and they suggested a fuelinjection/throttlebody full cleaning where they run stuff through lines to get all the stuff out... (cant you just put a 5$ bottle of crap in your gas and do the same thing?) and also, they have to "reprogram the computer" for the tachometer... doesnt that mean to just reset the computer? couldnt an autozone or something do that?

also they want to charge him 350$ to do it all...

Old 09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by buzzsaw714
alright i just got a call from my friend who said that the dealership said the ticking is valve noises and ware and they suggested a fuelinjection/throttlebody full cleaning where they run stuff through lines to get all the stuff out... (cant you just put a 5$ bottle of crap in your gas and do the same thing?) and also, they have to "reprogram the computer" for the tachometer... doesnt that mean to just reset the computer? couldnt an autozone or something do that?

also they want to charge him 350$ to do it all...
for the fuel injector cleaning you can get stuff that goes in the tank. and read the sticky for the throttle body cleaning. and the reprograming of the computer is updating it. the dealer has to do that because they have the software needed. what year is the truck and what motor?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:00 PM
hmmm that is a lot of $$$

Fuel injector cleaning doesn't cost $350 to perform...... and dirty injectors don't make valves 'tick'... so I am not sure what the deal is.

Most dealerships charge less than $200 for a fuel injector cleaning ... I believe it is 2 shop hours + the cleaner/solvent (which is like $40).... although there are ford techs on this board who know better than I.

As for the reprogramming of the computer... if the truck is having issues, and a new firmware will fix it, then this should be covered by the extended warrantee, and you will only have to pay the deductible.

$350 seems kinda high... unless it breaks down like this.

$100 deductible for PCM reprogramming
$250 injector cleaning

... which seems a little more reasonable.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If someone takes a car to a dealership that is under extended warranty.. and lets say drop it off at 7 AM... then call at 11:45am and ask if they have any update on it and they say they are looking and need an hour or two and they will call you... 5 hours go by and no call... should you call up there again or does this just bug them?
Your vehicle isn't the only one in the service department, so it may not get looked at immediately, and depending on the problem it may take a while to find it.

and also, do they charge by the hour for finding a problem?
Typically, yes.

And it's a dealership, not a stealership.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by smentzer
$350 seems kinda high... unless it breaks down like this.

$100 deductible for PCM reprogramming
$250 injector cleaning

... which seems a little more reasonable.
the injector cleaning + throttle body cleaning he said that it was carbon'd up really bad and black and the injector was making a slight tick.. but he said the ticking was kind of normal noise from valve ware? not exactly sure b/c im posting for a friend to help him out..

its a 5.4 v8 not sure if he has the 3valve or what..

Old 09-25-2008, 07:35 PM
you/he can clean the tb yourself/himself. the injectors usually do make a slight ticking noise on the 5.4's and 4.6's. if its a 5.4 3v then the cam phasers could be slightly worn and just starting to tick.

Quick Reply: Emergency Stealership Question!