F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Tundrowned (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/338863-tundrowned.html)

MercedesTech 07-14-2008 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by bluejay432000 (Post 3291061)
I'm getting a cattle guard put on the front of my truck, and the next hyper-mileing idiot that endangers everyone around them with their stupid, selfish driving tactics, I plan on running it over.:coffee:

x2 I hate those fawkers. I hate anyone who drives one of those cheese wedges and thinks they are doing the enviroment any good (how does a chit load of batteries help in anyway, hippies ???). fawkin morons !

Don't even get me started on the POS yuppie driving 55 MPH in the damn fast lane... :mad:

Faster150 07-14-2008 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by bluejay432000 (Post 3291061)
I'm getting a cattle guard put on the front of my truck, and the next hyper-mileing idiot that endangers everyone around them with their stupid, selfish driving tactics, I plan on running it over.:coffee:

rofl sounds like a plan!

jethat 07-14-2008 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by scott1981 (Post 3291105)
So the miniscule profit people in the U.S. can make from buying a Toyota stock is equal to the revenue on a state and national level that a major manufacturing plant with thousands of employees brings to the U.S.?

Again many of Toyota products are manufactured here. Many of Fords and other domestics are in actuality manufactured somewhere else. Like I implied I am a loyal Ford customer but in todays world its just impossible to buy all American and really not relevant.

Scruge 07-14-2008 08:04 PM

@ MercedesTech, Faster150, bluejay432000

I don't recall anyone saying anything about the environment..
This is about economics.

I've got an 06 Navigator which has a range of 320 miles on a $110 tank of gas.

The hybrid has a range of 548 miles on a $45 tank of gas.

At $4 a gallon, we (hippies) think its stupid to drive our 2.5 ton vehicles to get a sack of groceries.
So that makes us bad?

Look at it as if all the stupid hippies are doing you a favor by making sure there's enough fuel for you to drive your 2.5 ton truck to the grocery store.:thumbsup:

I'm really amazed at number of people who don't think further than their nose.

I'm guessing when gas prices hit $5-$8 you'll be suggesting to ford to re-introduce the little wind vents on the driver and passenger doors, that used to be there before a/c. Being you won't be able to run your a/c

I drove my hybrid on its first highway trip from Houston to New Orleans a couple of weeks ago.. 375 miles in 4.76 hours and consumed 9.2 gallons. I averaged 79 mph and got 40 mpg. I was the fastest thing on I-10, nothing passed me. All the slow ass SUVs and pickups were all in 55-65mph convoys and a lot of them had their windows down.:p

It must be hell having to drive in the slow lane.. :D

Scruge 07-14-2008 08:39 PM

Just a friendly FYI..

I've been told the Mexicans are still paying close to wholesale for big trucks and SUVs cause their gas prices are cheaper.

But I've also heard that market is beginning to saturate. :help:

dsq3973 07-14-2008 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Scruge (Post 3291289)

This is about economics.

At $4 a gallon, we (hippies) think its stupid to drive our 2.5 ton vehicles to get a sack of groceries.
So that makes us bad?

Look at it as if all the stupid hippies are doing you a favor by making sure there's enough fuel for you to drive your 2.5 ton truck to the grocery store.:thumbsup:

I'm guessing when gas prices hit $5-$8 you'll be suggesting to ford to re-introduce the little wind vents on the driver and passenger doors, that used to be there before a/c. Being you won't be able to run your a/c

I drove my hybrid on its first highway trip from Houston to New Orleans a couple of weeks ago.. 375 miles in 4.76 hours and consumed 9.2 gallons. I averaged 79 mph and got 40 mpg. I was the fastest thing on I-10, nothing passed me. All the slow ass SUVs and pickups were all in 55-65mph convoys and a lot of them had their windows down.:p

I would rather put my family in a 3 ton gas hog and survive a catostrophic accident than save a few dollars on gas a year. I can replace my truck but I cant replace my wife and step son. I dare you to go toe to toe with a 50 ton truck and see what happens I have money on my truck not some little foreign death trap.

jethat 07-14-2008 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lumadar (Post 3291124)
Just because YOU "don't get it" due to ignorance and a lack of education on the subject matter that makes it ok? Ignorance is bliss indeed.... :beers:

Huh? whatever..

Scruge 07-14-2008 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dsq3973 (Post 3291334)
I would rather put my family in a 3 ton gas hog and survive a catostrophic accident than save a few dollars on gas a year. I can replace my truck but I cant replace my wife and step son. I dare you to go toe to toe with a 50 ton truck and see what happens I have money on my truck not some little foreign death trap.

Nobody said you shouldn't keep yours..

But there seemed to be a lot of animosity by others towards those that own something other than a giant ford.

I'm keeping my Nav and f150 so I can pull my boat and trailer my four wheelers on hunts. Plus the Nav affords more room when I have guest.

If I had said I bought a Harley to go get grocery, nobody would have said a thing, but god forbid its a hybrid.

It kind of reminds of the mouse scaring the elephant in the old cartoons.;)

dsq3973 07-14-2008 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scruge (Post 3291370)
Nobody said you shouldn't keep yours..

But there seemed to be a lot of animosity by others towards those that own something other than a giant ford.

I'm keeping my Nav and f150 so I can pull my boat and trailer my four wheelers on hunts. Plus the Nav affords more room when I have guest.

If I had said I bought a Harley to go get grocery, nobody would have said a thing, but god forbid its a hybrid.

It kind of reminds of the mouse scaring the elephant in the old cartoons.;)

I understand this but there is a certain perception that most of the people that drive these cars are tree hugging enviromentalist and hate every thing that doesnt fit there ideals of perfect world. And for the most part in certain parts of the country this percetion is justified.

Scruge 07-14-2008 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by dsq3973 (Post 3291395)
I understand this but there is a certain perception that most of the people that drive these cars are tree hugging enviromentalist and hate every thing that doesnt fit there ideals of perfect world. And for the most part in certain parts of the country this percetion is justified.

I understand, I frequent some of the hybrid forums and there are some of those pricks still around. But regular people are starting to out number them so they don't say much any more.

Most of us are more into discussing the peculiarities of the cars and tips on driving them. Actually most of the hypermilers aren't tree huggers. They're either ex-tuners or old farts like myself.:cool:

Bluejay 07-14-2008 10:58 PM

This is about economics.

So that makes us bad?

You missed my point. I am frustrated with how the idiots endanger people by speeding up, then coasting with the engine off down to a rediculous speed, then taking off and repeating. They also will run up on bumpers to keep from braking. The idiots cause many near accidents as the squeeze out another mile per gallon. I have nothing against electric cars as long as the keep with the flow of traffic. II went on a short road trip the other day and twice came over a hill doing the posted 70 mph to run all over drivers doing 45 on a two lane highway. They are a menace.

minimonster17 07-15-2008 12:25 AM

have any of y'all factored in that the expense of owning/paying for/insuring a hybrid vehicle may outweigh the savings in fuel vs. driving solely one supposed "gas guzzling" vehicle?

po1911 07-15-2008 01:25 AM

I do not care if it gets 100 mpg the prius still looks like a suppository

the "Hyper-milers" should be dragged from their vehicles and beaten until their toes are bleeding

04 focus bought in 05 for $9400 gets combined 34-36mpg

97 sentra bought in 99 for $8750 now has 198500 and it gets me 36+ combined

why would I spend 3x as much for a wind up toy that will not be as long lasting or reliable, oh yeah and both of my cars run away and hide from the prius on the hills SE of Tucson on I-10 I can only imagine how bad these things are in actual mountainous terrain

Scruge 07-15-2008 02:19 AM

@bluejay432000

There's been discussion about that among the hybrid owners as well, as they don't care for it when they encounter. I think most problems have been west and northwest coasts.

I've never encounter a hypermiler on the street. There are about 20 hybrids in our neighborhood and most are driven hard and fast. I have noticed that trucks are really taking it easy now. I've got a couple of busy traffic lights that normally will clear 12 -15 vehicles, single file lanes per cycle.. Since $4 gas everyone has slowed some but the friggin trucks have slowed to a crawl. The large vehicles are now taking 3x the amount of time they used to.

Right now my biggest issue is if they pass the national 55 mph speed limit. I think it sucks that a lot of us make it a point to live close to our work and try to conserve and then as if that's not enough, we're then forced to drive 55 mph so others can drive whatever they want and commute 100 miles a day. I've got family in Dallas, OKC, Kerrville and Baton Rouge and I don't want to have to drive 55 when I go see them.

@minimonster17

Depends on your annual miles.
Demand has priced Prius way out of whack with rest of industry so I can't recommend unless you're a heavy driver and don't mind waiting 3-6 months.
Keep in mind hybrids aren't the only option, a friend bought a VW diesel a year ago that gets >40mpg and there are few sub $15k vehicles that get >30mpg.

@po1911

I agree they are ugly but boy do they know how to sip gas. We got ours before the rush and only paid $23k.
There are a couple of cab companies that have some with over 200k miles and no major repairs. I think jury is still out on reliability plus they're getting real pricey. If they can get production up on batteries the cars should sell for under $20k.
I haven't heard much about how they do in mountains.. I think engine is only 75hp. but 2010 will be larger ~ 85hp 1.6L as I recall.

BTW.. how is Tucson? I was stationed there in the 70's at one of the titan missile silo's, 570-05 north of tucson.

Is it still HOT?? :wave:

BLUE20004X4 07-15-2008 11:34 PM

This is about economics.

So that makes us bad?

Good for them, at least they don't have to look like a homo driving a Prius. Bring the $8 a gallon gas, you think some gas company is going to force me to drive a imported POS car? What's worse, you're boasting about speeding for which many areas have clamped down on speeding so maybe people like NOT having to pay fines anymore either. Whatever the case, are you going to consider someone who bought "gas guzzlers" stupid because they have freedom of choice? How about the retarded spike in gas prices since the new year began, like 25% in 3 months? People who bought or leased prior can't get out of the purchase commitment so what are they to do? I hate all this pinning consumer against consumer. Foreign brands are bland, cheap, overrated POS anyways, anyone who buys one obviously could care less about what they drive.