F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   efan controller dccontrols or spal??? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/336815-efan-controller-dccontrols-spal.html)

bubbajoe28 06-18-2008 01:48 PM

efan controller dccontrols or spal???

Do the DC controllers have variable speeds? Do they come on full 100%, or do they come on at 60% then increase to 100% as temps rise?

Bubba

ELVATO 06-18-2008 01:53 PM

Variable. From 0-100 though I don't think I've seen mine go to 100% before. :lol:

bubbajoe28 06-18-2008 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ELVATO (Post 3255589)
Variable. From 0-100 though I don't think I've seen mine go to 100% before. :lol:

Elvato,

when it hits the temp threshold, approx. what speed does the fan come on at? Do you set the speed, or does the controller constantly adjust the speed based on temp? Also, when the AC is on, does the fan go to 100%?

Thanks,
Bubba

sf93 06-18-2008 05:01 PM

I can't speak for the spal controller. But I just got done installing a DCC controller on my Expedition, and I have on on my Mustang. As Elvato said I don't think I've ever seen ether run at 100%. The controller constantly adjust the speed based on temp. Depending on witch model you get you ether set your temperature buy jumpers or a potentiometer. A temperature setting about 7 deg warmer than your thermostat rating is suggested. When that temp is reached the fan speed is ramped up just enough to keep coolant temps in that set range. If the temps rise more the fan is sped up more just enough to keep the coolant temperature in that sweet spot. As the temperature falls the fan speed is ramped down.

Using the AC input the fan is run at 50% when the compressor is engaged. If using the Underdrive jumper the fan will run at 100% when the compressor is on.
Also if the undredrive jumper is installed the fan will always run at least at 10% speed.

Hope this helps you out.:beers:

bubbajoe28 06-18-2008 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by sf93 (Post 3255962)
I can't speak for the spal controller. But I just got done installing a DCC controller on my Expedition, and I have on on my Mustang. As Elvato said I don't think I've ever seen ether run at 100%. The controller constantly adjust the speed based on temp. Depending on witch model you get you ether set your temperature buy jumpers or a potentiometer. A temperature setting about 7 deg warmer than your thermostat rating is suggested. When that temp is reached the fan speed is ramped up just enough to keep coolant temps in that set range. If the temps rise more the fan is sped up more just enough to keep the coolant temperature in that sweet spot. As the temperature falls the fan speed is ramped down.

Using the AC input the fan is run at 50% when the compressor is engaged. If using the Underdrive jumper the fan will run at 100% when the compressor is on.
Also if the undredrive jumper is installed the fan will always run at least at 10% speed.

Hope this helps you out.:beers:

SF93,

thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will be going with the DCcontrols FK-50P. How hard is it to wire one of these things up?

bubba
:beers:

sf93 06-18-2008 10:46 PM

The wiring is not bad. Two wires go to the battery. Two wires go to the fan. One wire to an switched acc./run wire (optional but I would recommend it). One wire to the Ac compressor clutch 12vdc+ signal (optional). The temp sensor just plugs in on the jumper pad. The unit comes with all the wire you should need for the install. The instructions that come with the unit are easy to follow.

I think it is really a good unit you should be happy with it. I've had one on my mustang now for 3 years with no issues. Just want to warn you it may take a week or two to get your unit. Brian at DCC is very busy this time of year.

bubbajoe28 06-19-2008 12:16 AM

The wiring sounds easy enough. I've read several threads, and think I know which wires to tap into. Did anyone with the DC Controller install an inline fuse? I was reading the following install, and the guy used an inline fuse to prevent overheating. I noticed on the DC website that it says the controller has built in overheat, short circuit, and over temp protection.

http://timskelton.com/lightning/race...iator_fans.htm

sf93 06-19-2008 08:19 AM

The unit comes with a fuseable link for the main power wire going to the battery. And that web site that you have posted is spot on for where to tap into for the switched and ac wires, or at least the easiest to get to anyway.

bubbajoe28 06-19-2008 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by sf93 (Post 3256599)
The unit comes with a fuseable link for the main power wire going to the battery. And that web site that you have posted is spot on for where to tap into for the switched and ac wires, or at least the easiest to get to anyway.

Is the fuse necessary or not?

Thanks,
Bubba

sf93 06-19-2008 02:10 PM

a fuse is not needed if you use the supplied fuseable link,that's all I used on both my installs. It's a matter of preference really.