F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Bg Moa (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/334778-bg-moa.html)

curio 05-29-2008 11:35 AM

Bg Moa

I tried a search for this but 3 or fewer letters returns no results. :o

Anyway, I haven't ever considered adding any type of additive to my engine oil as I think oil additives can cause more harm then benefit; but my Ford dealer has been pushing BG MOA on me recently; so I thought I'd research it more and ask you guys first.

First of all, it isn't like a Teflon or PTFE oil additive which is good, and it doesn't claim to make the oil run 'slicker' or anything like that Z-Max crap. According to BG's website, it helps prevent oxidation and thickening of engine oil, and it helps the oil keep the 'piston ring belts, hydraulic lifters and other engine components clean to help extend engine life and reduce costs of operation'. I know that most oil these days has additives which help prevent oxidation, but it seems to me that anything that can prevent the oil from oxidizing sooner would be beneficial.

BG claims that MOA can help the oil resist oxidation by more than 200% longer than six major brands of SL quality oil without MOA; and MOA fortified oil showed a viscosity increase of only 57% in an 80 hour API Sequence IIIF Engine Test vs. 255% without MOA.

I've used some other BG products before and they seem to be a reputable company, but as always I'm a skeptic and a believer in 'buyer beware'. So, anyone familiar with the stuff and is it worth it?

JMC 05-29-2008 12:00 PM

The current oil service categories are SJ-SL and SM. SJ is for 2001 and older engines. SL is for 2004 and older and SM is for engines in service since 2004. I believe that all the brand name oils meet the newer SM category. So the info on this product is obsolete as it claims to be better than only the SL category not the SM. You might want to point that out to your Dealer with the inference that you are smarter than him.......

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

kingfish51 05-29-2008 12:10 PM

If I am not mistaken, the OM states additives are not necessary or recommended. Might want to find that and point it out to your dealer. If he doesn't care, then you might want to notify Ford about your dealer.

tech-doc 05-29-2008 12:46 PM

I would HIGHLY advise to stay away from any additives that go in the crank case. You will regret it in the long run. ATF will do the exact amount of cleaning, IMO.

Modern oil has ALL of the detergents in it you will need for a long life for your motor. I personally would find another service dept to take my FORD to. Obviously they have been given an incentive to PUSH that crap. reminds me of autozone and autolites or bosch plugs...

Referr to your owners manual on the additive for your crank case...

Good Luck!

curio 05-29-2008 12:59 PM

Thanks guys!

Labnerd 05-29-2008 02:27 PM

If you are using an oil that meets the Ford specs, you won't have any need for the MOA. It already is not allowed to shift out of it's respective viscosity range for a 160 hour Sequence III test which is twice that of the MOA. FWIW, it's nothing more than an butanedioic acid thio-bis ester in a can. It can provide for a slow cleaning of the engines internals but that's about it in this scenario. Otherwise, it is used to stabilize organic materials against light and heat.