Best Spark Plug Wires Under $75 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-1999, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best Spark Plug Wires Under $75 ?

I need to pickup some new Spark Plug Wires for my 93 F-150 5.0L 2wd. I can't spend over $75 on them. I want something that looks a little better under the hood then the gray wires. I was looking at the accel wires, are these any good ? Please give me some suggestions on what to get. My local stores are: Autozone, NAPA, and Advance Auto parts. But I can also mail order stuff if I need to, so pelase tell me what you would do. Thanks !

Old 07-27-1999, 08:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

I can tell you what NOT to get: Autozone

Several people on the ford-trucks.com mail list (including me) have had problems with their cheap wires. Generally, one or more of the brand new wires were bad. Under load aka "lugging", the engine would misfire. Changed wires and problem went away.

All the name brands (Accell, Moroso, etc) are going to be pretty good wires. You might check out their websites for more info.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, and Clarion In-dash CD player: http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Old 07-27-1999, 01:54 PM
Find and auto supply store (not a car dealer) that sells Motorcraft parts. I got a set of Motorcraft wires for my truck for about $40-$50. The wires were the same as original except they were a bit longer because they use the same wire set for multiple engines (ie 5.0 and 5.8) where as the factory wires are designed for a particular engine.

------------------
'93 Regular Cab XLT Shortbed, 5.0, K&N, Borla, 160,000 miles; Future SuperCrew owner.

Old 07-27-1999, 01:58 PM
One more thing. If you can't find Motorcraft, Standard Ignition makes good quality wires and ignition parts. I worked in an auto parts store many years ago, so this is just my opinion!

------------------
'93 Regular Cab XLT Shortbed, 5.0, K&N, Borla, 160,000 miles; Future SuperCrew owner.

Old 07-28-1999, 09:06 PM
Check NAPA and see if they have the Champion *HD Truck Wires*. I bought a set for my '95 4wd. Cool looking FAT Ceramic-shelled boots.

------------------

~Tuxedo Mask~

-----

1998 Nascar Official Truck:

-Superchip Module

-JET Power Pulleys

-Gibson Muffler(retaining *stock* Roush dual tailpipe tip)

-K&N Filter

-3.73 Performance Rear Axle

-Synthetic Engine, Transmission and Differential Lubrication

-Nascar soft Tonneau Cover

-Little White Chihuahua

Old 06-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by nomo
I can tell you what NOT to get: Autozone

Several people on the ford-trucks.com mail list (including me) have had problems with their cheap wires. Generally, one or more of the brand new wires were bad. Under load aka "lugging", the engine would misfire. Changed wires and problem went away.

All the name brands (Accell, Moroso, etc) are going to be pretty good wires. You might check out their websites for more info.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, and Clarion In-dash CD player: http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo
Interesting tidbit about Autozone Duralast plug wireset.

I'm getting what I believe to be misfire (new Bosch plugs, new cap/rotor). Must be fire, air, or fuel, right? Tried a fuel cleaner (STP or something, I don't remember), seemed to help a bit. Replaced air filter. New Bosch plugs & cap/rotor in the fire department.

Well, the only easy thing left that I have thought about are the plug wires. So I tested my plug wires, and found anywhere between 2500 and 8800 ohms in a DC test. Seems most sources think that anything less than 20k ohms is fine.

I'm still thinking -- this is an easy, $30 replacement, it has been more than 10 years with these plug wires (Ford 3.8L engine), I'll go ahead and replace them.

Go to Autozone, what do you know? Duralast on sale for $24. Bosch are out of stock. Guys are really not well informed there, but they all have answers -- even if misinformed. But the manager seems pretty smart at this stuff.

So I ask if he minds if we tone out the Duralast with an ohm meter. Yes, yes, DC ohms is a lot different than impedance loads with AC, but DC ohms is easy to check.

Duralast tone out at 30k ohm + per wire!

I ask if he minds us checking a Bosch for a different car. Less than 10 ohms per wire.

Well, I don't know if 30k DC ohms in a brand new wire is okay or not, but it is sure a lot different than 10 ohms. He's thinking that it doesn't matter since we are AC on the fire side. What, let's see.

3000 Rev / Min * 1 Min / 60 Sec = 50 Revs per Second
50 Rev / Sec * One fire every two revolutions (4 cycle engine) = 25 Fires / Second
25 Hz is definitely AC.

Anyway, can anyone answer with any scientific data regarding what might happen with these plug wires? 30k ohms sounds just way too high. To me, in a DC sort of way, ohms equals heat. Sure again, the plugs are gapped at .056" -- what does that equate to, someone suggested 10s of mega ohms, like 50 megaohms or something? So taking the equation out, 30k ohms is probably not a lot... but still a LOT more than less than 10 ohm on the Bosch.

--Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com

Old 06-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Check amazon.com for your part no.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I use to use taylor wires on my car, but then i switched to the 8.8 mm Accel's and I love them...I believe I got their racing ones for like 70 bucks

Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by marksatterfield
I'm getting what I believe to be misfire (new Bosch plugs, new cap/rotor).
--Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com
That might be your problem there. I dunno about your old pushrod engine, but Bosch plugs just suck in the Tritons. Honestly, I'd run Motorcraft plugs and wires.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:17 AM
I'd stay away from bosch plugs if you could help it. I put them in a V6 camaro and a Street/Strip V8 stroker Camaro and neither lasted long nor made the engine run better, I always had a missfire or two.

I put them in my Triton and 2 days later all 8 were burnt bright white, not good on a $3.99 plug. Motorcraft or eqiv. Accel is good, I know a lot of guys who purchase those or the sets of wries that go up $$$ mega bucks.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:50 PM
i like the napa beldin wires for a stock vehicle but i got for what it cost my dad so i don't know what they cost exactly. they're nice and blue and i believe they have a lifetime factory defect warranty.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matts ford
i like the napa beldin wires for a stock vehicle but i got for what it cost my dad so i don't know what they cost exactly. they're nice and blue and i believe they have a lifetime factory defect warranty.
I like these wires as well. I have had no problems with them.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Beldins have always been quality wires.

Quick Reply: Best Spark Plug Wires Under $75 ?