question about clatter

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about clatter

hey every1. new here and this is my first f150. it seems ive encountered the infamous clicking/clattering or whatever sound ive read so much about on here.

personally, im new to ford, but between a family member, my friend, and a family member of his, this is the second f150 ('00, '01) on top of 3 expeditions ('98, '01, and '04). this is the first ive heard of the the clicking noise under the hood. none of the other vehicles mentioned above do/did it and my buddy's has 63k on it, tho ill ask him again to be sure.

ok the details.... 2000 f150 supercab v6 2wd 36,300 miles. no clicking/clatter at idle, but clicking during acceleration at low rpms and low speeds (0-45). it tends to go away at times and i have yet to hear it on the highway, but it will come back out of nowhere while driving streets. occasionally, it will click when giving it gas while in park, about only 5% of the time though. the clicking isnt too loud (ive read about loud diesel sounding clatter on here) but it IS noticeable in the cab while driving.

ive been reading everything on here from gas quality to valve clatter to loose spark plugs to oil realated issues to fuel injector noise and so on as being the source. i have to admit i was a bit concerned at first but from what ive read on here it seems to be nothing out of the ordinary?? i had a mechanic mention that its possibly noise from, let's see, where's the paper...... "possible wrist pin clatter under load" a bit concerning of course because i saw a few posts where people said that their ford dealer said a new engine or engine work was necessary while other ford dealers said its nothing to worry about. new engines and engine work are something i cant afford right now.

basically im just concerned, being the first time behind the wheel of an f150 and all, and i want to prevent any possible problems down the road (or avoid any at all by not keeping the truck) Any suggestions on what to check/replace first would be greatly appreciated (even more if its ASAP) as it seems plenty of you on here have had experience with this.

-JP

Last edited by SoCal20; 11-13-2003 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:18 PM
i have a similar problem with my f150 V8 4.6L 4x4. when i accelerate at about 2800-3000 rpms it starts clattering as well (not everytime). not sure what it is but i have heard it many times before in my various patrol cars over the last 7yrs. would like to know if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem(s) may be. i don't think it is a loose shield on the cats. i have read posts before where others have thought this as a possible solution. i don't believe this to be my problem. thank you for any responses.

Old 11-16-2003, 01:09 AM
This is also my first Ford ever, my family has owned a couple. But i just bought my 91' F150 about 2 months ago.

I have a 91' F150
5.0 302 EFI

I have a clicking clattering noise, and mine is just fuel injectors. Sometimes i can hear it, and other times i cant. I hear it most often when idling, and when the rpm's are higher, and getting close to the shift point. Once it shifts it will go away til the next shift point. And i can also hear it when at stop lights from time to time.
I wish i had a better answer. But hopefully this may help.

Old 11-16-2003, 04:06 PM
yeah, im somewhat familiar with fuel injector noise.. my old nissan developed that at around 150K, a constant low level clicking from under the hood. thats what i cant figure about the noise on my truck... it ONLY happens when loading the engine. it idles perfectly in drive, makes no noise when revving the motor while in park, no noise in reverse, no noise when cruising, and so far i dont hear it when accelerating if im doing about 55mph+. but anytime im doing under 45-50mph, as soon as i put pressure on the pedal to accelerate, i can hear the noise (a bit more like a tapping sound actually, now that i have had time to listen to it more) which gets faster the harder i accelerate. its always audible in the cabin, unless ive got the radio on

Old 04-02-2008, 06:31 PM
I had this same clicking on my 99 f150 5.4L. I would only hear it on the highway during acceleration. Luckily the vehicle was still under warranty so I brought it in. The service guy told me that they would have a heavy duty mechanic qualified to go deeper into the engine look at it.

What I was told was a loose piston rod bearing was found and if I had continued to drive it any further, I would have thrown a rod. Now I am not vehicle savvy but I try to muddle my way through it. I am not claiming that this was all correct, but thought I would throw it out there.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Reviving a thread that's been dead for over 4 years?

Old 04-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Woops, Didn't notice that.

Quick Reply: question about clatter