F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Head replacement 2v to 3v. (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/319208-head-replacement-2v-3v.html)

kaboom10 02-02-2008 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by phil6608
You'll be much better off going with ported 2V heads and high performance cams.
You'll save yourself a hole lot of headaches and make good power.

Phil

Thanx but I'm still researching out this idea at the moment.:help:

JMC: those are sweet but pricy.

JMC 02-02-2008 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by kaboom10
Thanx but I'm still researching out this idea at the moment.:help:

JMC: those are sweet but pricy.

The pic shows a set of cam phaser locks. They cost $50.00 at Livernois. The gears behind the little piece are the cam phaser showing the location where the part goes. You would also need this to eliminate the charge motion control valves in the intake. FYI $139.95

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...1640-large.jpg

JMC :devil:

kaboom10 02-03-2008 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by JMC
The pic shows a set of cam phaser locks. They cos $50.00 at Livernois. The gears behind the little piece are the cam phaser showing the location where the part goes. You would also need this to emiminate the charge motion control valvs in the intake. FYI $139.95

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...1640-large.jpg

JMC :devil:

Thanx. That's a good price. I've seen them for $245 if I remember correctly. I need to go to Livernois and talk to them. I would also like to get a dyno run for a baseline.

Pnewman 02-03-2008 09:05 AM

Why would anyone want to eliminate the VCT? Its the best thing to happen to an internal combustion engine. For example a ferrari 430 gets 505HP from a naturally aspirated 4.3 V8 due to variable length intake runners and variable cam timing. Eliminating that feature shows ignorance and fear of technology. As for the livernois (sp?) stuff, they cant build engines and currently I have one of thier 3V abortions in pieces right now undoing the mistakes they made when they built it.

JMC 02-03-2008 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pnewman
Why would anyone want to eliminate the VCT? Its the best thing to happen to an internal combustion engine. For example a ferrari 430 gets 505HP from a naturally aspirated 4.3 V8 due to variable length intake runners and variable cam timing. Eliminating that feature shows ignorance and fear of technology. As for the livernois (sp?) stuff, they cant build engines and currently I have one of thier 3V abortions in pieces right now undoing the mistakes they made when they built it.

People are finding out that the springs in the phaser are the weakest link. If you get a hot cam with stiff valve springs you run into cam timing issues. To eliminate this problem, for now, your only option is to lock the cam phasers. What happened with your engine?

JMC

kaboom10 02-03-2008 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JMC
People are finding out that the springs in the phaser are the weakest link. If you get a hot cam with stiff valve springs you run into cam timing issues. To eliminate this problem, for now, your only option is to lock the cam phasers. What happened with your engine?

JMC

Do you know if the adjustable drve sproket is the only one that will work or can a solid one from say a 2v work? I'm gonna definitely be using Comp Cams stuff. I put one of the high energy bump sticks in the wife's old Camaro when the factory part lost a lobe. The dang thing wore out a set of lifters and kept on ticking. Toughest cam I've ever seen.

Pnewman 02-03-2008 05:22 PM

Ive had no issues installing Comp cams camshafts in the 3V engines with updated springs to match. Mega HP is the only side-effect :). Ive only seen problems mainly with the 2004 phasers, the odd 2005 but very rare (stock application only). The engine im currently doing (was done by livernois) was supposed to have aftermarket cams in it. Turns out they're from an 04 navigator along with the 04 phasers in an 05 mustang with a blower. The car made big power (due to boost) but the customer paid for things he didnt get. I updated the phasers and installed Comp cams and springs. Had to re-do the heads as the guides were improperly installed. the short block wasnt too bad but I find the Livernois pistons are crap compared to the DSS ones I usually run on blown applications. Im waiting for a set of DSS pistons to arrive then I can balance it, fit the new pistons and get it back to the customer. Again, Ive never had a problem with a phaser running aftermarket cams and I started messing around with the 3V engine a couple of years ago and the other mod motors since 97.

Pnewman 02-03-2008 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by kaboom10
Do you know if the adjustable drve sproket is the only one that will work or can a solid one from say a 2v work? I'm gonna definitely be using Comp Cams stuff. I put one of the high energy bump sticks in the wife's old Camaro when the factory part lost a lobe. The dang thing wore out a set of lifters and kept on ticking. Toughest cam I've ever seen.

The 3V cam gears are unique and will not accept a regular cam gear. The snout of the 3V cam has a notch cut in it for the gear pin rather than a keyway or a pressed gear depending on windsor/romeo.

kaboom10 02-03-2008 06:10 PM

Ive had no issues installing Comp cams camshafts in the 3V engines with updated springs to match. Mega HP is the only side-effect :). Ive only seen problems mainly with the 2004 phasers, the odd 2005 but very rare (stock application only). The engine im currently doing (was done by livernois) was supposed to have aftermarket cams in it. Turns out they're from an 04 navigator along with the 04 phasers in an 05 mustang with a blower. The car made big power (due to boost) but the customer paid for things he didnt get. I updated the phasers and installed Comp cams and springs. Had to re-do the heads as the guides were improperly installed. the short block wasnt too bad but I find the Livernois pistons are crap compared to the DSS ones I usually run on blown applications. Im waiting for a set of DSS pistons to arrive then I can balance it, fit the new pistons and get it back to the customer. Again, Ive never had a problem with a phaser running aftermarket cams and I started messing around with the 3V engine a couple of years ago and the other mod motors since 97.

Does Livernois pick who gets the good stuff. I've read about some of their stuff in people's cars and they rave about it. I choose Diamond or Mahle pistons. We've had exceptionally good luck in street or race engines using them.

kaboom10 02-03-2008 06:16 PM

The 3V cam gears are unique and will not accept a regular cam gear. The snout of the 3V cam has a notch cut in it for the gear pin rather than a keyway or a pressed gear depending on windsor/romeo.

Thanx. I outta drive up to Romeo and get a good hold on someone to shake sense into them. They've made changes to things that the engines are like following Volkswagen builds. You checked the chassis number to see about what engine was installed. If some one makes a book that keeps up with all the changes it's gotta be as thick as the encyclopedia.:mad:

Neal 02-03-2008 09:09 PM

HI!... PNEWMAN : Where in Canada are you from? I'm from Windsor, Ontario. Is Newman your last name? Just curious due to my last name is Newman. Mabey a distant relation? LOL! :D

Anyways, i have lots of experience building small block fords and the modular 2-valve but have not done anything with the 3-valves yet.

Here's my thing. Due to a engine builder screw up, my built 5.4 had bearing issues (spun). It needs a total rebuilt but I think I'm going to start from scratch.

Here's the saga :

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=202950

Anyways, I plan on getting a new 5.4 NVH block, custom SCAT crank, OLIVER "billet "I" beam rods and forged CP pistons. MMR high volume oil pump, D.S.S main girdle. Most of these parts I already have from my previous built 5.4. I want to switch from my FOX LAKE stage II heads to a set of LIVINOIS 3- valve stage III ones with custom ground comp cams. I'll be running a T-88 turbo custom fabricated kit by myself. Basically trying to put a set of 3 - valve heads on a 2 - valve short block. I know I can't run the stock 2 - valve pistons with the 3 - valve heads due to no valve reliefs in the 2-valve pistons. The 3 - valve uses a flatop piston. I plan on running a compression ratio of 8.25:1 due to the turbo. Those pistons will have a dish of -14cc.

My question to you is :

Are the left/right timing chains the same (length), from the 5.4 2- valve to the 3- valve?

I plan on running my stock "99" F-150 pcm and harness. I don't want to run the VVT due to the turbo set-up. I'll be using the LIVINOIS cam phaser locks and a custom built sheet aluminum intake manifold. Most likely will get the 3-valve heads spark plug holes milled out and inserts installed for tradition spark plugs. I will then fab up 8 custom coils with wires due to the plug will be much deeper in the plug port. Stock coils won't reach.

Do the 2 and 3 valve 5.4's share the same timing chain adjusters/guides?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Neal.

Pnewman 02-04-2008 08:19 AM

Im just north of toronto in snow country.

The 3V timing cover and of course the valve covers are differnet. The chains and guides, tensioners are the same or should I say they interchange. Im not a fan of the non-locking plastic tensioners but any modular tensioner will fit.

As for livernois maybe they have improved over time. I dont like their pistons. Ive used Mahle as well and probe, they're all good.

kaboom10 02-04-2008 08:46 AM

The 3V timing cover and of course the valve covers are differnet. The chains and guides, tensioners are the same or should I say they interchange. Im not a fan of the non-locking plastic tensioners but any modular tensioner will fit.

As for livernois maybe they have improved over time. I dont like their pistons. Ive used Mahle as well and probe, they're all good.

Hello northern neighbor. That's why I'm just gonna probably buy a junk motor complete. 3v or 4v or even 2v are about the same cost and availability is high. :fyi:

Neal 02-04-2008 09:15 AM

HI!... Yes I knew about the timing chain cover and valve covers. No issues there. I'm leaning more towards the BBR or BOSS 330 adjustable timing gears to eliminate the VVT. Ya I don't like their pistons either. My last built 5.4 had MAHLE pistons in it. I also like the CP pistons.

Pnewman 02-04-2008 09:50 AM

I keep pushing the 4V navigator engine, why wont people step up to the plate? Im debating doing that to my harley truck. The 3V head flows more than the 4V only because of the variable cam timing. If you turf the VVT then why not go for the 4V engine, hook up is straight forward and visual impact is fantastic not to mention balls.