Replace Ford 5.4L Coil-Over-Plug's with standard coils?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tech-doc
Yes, boots, coils, and any electrical part, will and can fail, even "IF" the coil is still good. Windings lose umph, rubber dryrots, and if not taken in account water can effect COP's. To remedy this problem, dielectric grease the boots and plugs "ANNUALY".

The main discussion here would be the global COP's. They are just as good as any aftermarket part you may purchase, and, installed properly with dielectric grease they will line your wallet with green instead of moth sh@t. They also are backed by global. If one doesn't work tell them and they will make it right. Yes, you may wait for a day or so for the product to come snail mail, BUT, they stand behing the product. This is common with any electrical part warranty if they are a company worth dealing with. 9 times out of 10 it will be the boots or the windings before it is the COP (I think that is the capitilazed TECHDOC's argument) but with the global price, why the hell not replace them all for that price and be done with it. Heck, you are already tearing it apart in the first place.

Why go with a LONG A$$ EXTENTION CORD, when you can replace junk for that low of a price. Yes, others have called it "HANGIN MORE PARTS ON IT" (right TECHDOC?) and it may be true. BUUUTTTTT!!!!,,,,, for the price why not? Save a few benjamins and get the globals. Put the left over $'s in the fuel tank. That will help you on the mileage you will ask about in a few weeks.

I have one last bit of advise for the TECHDOC with sarcastic issues. Opinionative advise is just that. There is many different opinions than your own, and, most of us do not trust the TECH at the shops in our areas. You may or may not be right about everything, as are the rest of us. BUT, you do have the right to put your 2 cents worth in and I have read all of your posts. You mainly confuse people 65% of the time. This is a trait of local garages to accumulate business. I would advise, telling the truth, on your experiences and what you have done to resolve problems questioned on this site. BTW, we are all here to stay away from the pocket rapers making a living calling themselves technitions and telling the mechanics what to do.

OH!!!! Your sarcasm needs work!

AGAIN (My discalimer, This may or may not be a sarcastic statement. Source of comments can not be held responsible! Void where prohibited, and, all who gets offended may go straddle a goat!)
I did not know that sarcasm was a requirement of these forums.

I think you would have to be an idiot to change to COP's from HDR's or vice versa, unless you race your vehicle on a regular basis, that's a different story. Personaly I like both. Now, If the boots, springs and coils fail alot more often than the HDR setup, wouldn't you consider that less superior? People, everyday use is what decides if one product is superior or another, not what a few people on the internet think, you all can see there are more issues with COP's than the HDR's, use the search function. I have not had one issue with my 98' 4.6 as of 198,000 mi. That is due to my training and logic.

Thank you all for the feedback, I knew nobody would give a straight answer.

jbrew, I thought we settled our issues, are you being sarcastic? I have stayed out of your way, is that not enough?

Now, I was trying to find out why Gotts2BMe could not answer me about when he said COP's could be dialed in and HDR's could not. I never got an answer.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TECHDOC

jbrew, I thought we settled our issues, are you being sarcastic? I have stayed out of your way, is that not enough?

Now, I was trying to find out why Gotts2BMe could not answer me about when he said COP's could be dialed in and HDR's could not. I never got an answer.
Well , if I didn't like yuh , I prolly wouldn't pick on yuh.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Good info in the thread - I'll add what I think works better for me. I toss the boots that come with todays coils and run the factory 98 boots. Their a heavier boot when comparing shells. The inside make up is solid brass and cooper. Another Plus - The grease inside these boots outlast the thiner boots.

Less worry for me about maintaining this area and their easier to work with.

Personal preference and my opinion of course.

Bad part is , these boots are hard to find. They don't make them anymore. It took quite a while to find them on ebay.

Anyway , pics are easy to find in my COP/Coil gallery.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:04 PM

I did not know that sarcasm was a requirement of these forums.

I think you would have to be an idiot to change to COP's from HDR's or vice versa, unless you race your vehicle on a regular basis, that's a different story. Personaly I like both. Now, If the boots, springs and coils fail alot more often than the HDR setup, wouldn't you consider that less superior? People, everyday use is what decides if one product is superior or another, not what a few people on the internet think, you all can see there are more issues with COP's than the HDR's, use the search function. I have not had one issue with my 98' 4.6 as of 198,000 mi. That is due to my training and logic.
Thank you all for the feedback, I knew nobody would give a straight answer.

- I replaced all 8 coils on 5.4 at 170,000 trouble free miles just as preventative maintanence. If maintained properly they can last a long time. The onl problem is many people don't know how or just don't take care of them. In your near 200k you must have replaced atleast 1 set of wires and that makes it about equal with the COP's

As for your last statement....

Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
- with the hdr coils you can not run 27* on one cylinder and 28* on the other. You could on the COP design.
With COP's you have the ability to run 30* on cylinder 1, 25* on cylinder 2, 28* on 3, 50* on 4, 130* on 5, 27* on 6, 1,000* on 7, 12* on 8.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:56 PM
- I replaced all 8 coils on 5.4 at 170,000 trouble free miles just as preventative maintanence. If maintained properly they can last a long time. The onl problem is many people don't know how or just don't take care of them. In your near 200k you must have replaced atleast 1 set of wires and that makes it about equal with the COP's

As for your last statement....

With COP's you have the ability to run 30* on cylinder 1, 25* on cylinder 2, 28* on 3, 50* on 4, 130* on 5, 27* on 6, 1,000* on 7, 12* on 8.

Please, enlighten me, and don't tell me to do a google search, I'm asking you.
Thanks.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM

Please, enlighten me, and don't tell me to do a google search, I'm asking you.
Thanks.
its pretty clear that your HDR setup is far superior as that is what Ford runs in all their modular engines now and completely ditched the COP's............

Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 PM
its pretty clear that your HDR setup is far superior as that is what Ford runs in all their modular engines now and completely ditched the COP's............
I figured you couldn't explain how it's done, Thanks anyway.

I never said I disliked either one.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:33 PM

I figured you couldn't explain how it's done, Thanks anyway.

I never said I disliked either one.

Just because I don't know exactly how its done doesn't mine I don't know whether it can or can't be done. The guy who has the local dyno has an 06 full bolt on, supercharged mustang gt and tuned each cylinder individually 2 times through so I know it can be done. It'll be controlled by the pcm but how through the pcm I couldn't tell you

Quick Reply: Replace Ford 5.4L Coil-Over-Plug's with standard coils?