Help with my F150, P0401 code won't stay gone

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Help with my F150, P0401 code won't stay gone

My truck's SES light has been coming on. I've managed to do a few things to straighten out the problem for a few hours or even 1 day, but is still coming on I've searched for ideas online and have tried various things, but to no avail I still have the same problem. I replaced my DPFE sensor, cleaned out the throttle body(I think it is the throttle body). Checked for vacuum leaks around the EGR valve and tubing coming out the area where the EGR valve is located. I even took off the EGR valve and cleaned it out as much as possible.After removing the valve, I even connected a short piece of vacuum line to the valve and sucked on the line to see whether anything was going on with valve. I felt the piston on the lower half of the valve going up and down. Any more ideas? I sure would appreciate the help. Thanks

Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You have to clean the Plenum - What the EGR valve bolts to.

If you replace the DPFE - Dealership item only . If you get one anywhere else , it won't work.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:27 AM
X2 The carbon is probably built up in the passages that go to/from the egr. Use a wire bottle brush and some intake or brakekleen solvent to help dissolve them

Jason

to clean them out
Originally Posted by jbrew
You have to clean the Plenum - What the EGR valve bolts to.

If you replace the DPFE - Dealership item only . If you get one anywhere else , it won't work.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the advice. I tried to see how I could get to the plenum, however there is some bolts on the backside by the firewall which are a little hard to get to. Does anyone know if there are any removable parts or covers near the backside of the engine where it may be more accessible? Steel wire brush would have to be pretty thin to clean the EGR ports, my question is do you have to go very far in there with the brush.

Quick Reply: Help with my F150, P0401 code won't stay gone