engine oil level

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine oil level

changed oil for first time in 05 4.6. Manual says 6 quart but only comes up half way on stick after sitting an hour. So do I add or is this common?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As it states in the manual, if it is in the cross hatch "do not add" area, you do not have to add any more. Do not fill it to the full level. You are just overfilling it if you do.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Leave it, and when it drops below the crosshatches add 1 quart.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
when i worked for jiffy lube(we were told to fill to the full line) it took atleast 6.5qts for 97 4.2 up to 07 5.4

Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
6 qts is IT, if your put any more in you'll risk gasket failure. 6 qts and that is it regardles of where the full mark is. As long as its in the crosshatched area its fine.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by madmaxwell87
when i worked for jiffy lube(we were told to fill to the full line) it took atleast 6.5qts for 97 4.2 up to 07 5.4
In my other truck, the manual calls for 5 quarts of 5W30. The Ford Dealership tech filled it with 6 quarts of 5W20.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by madmaxwell87
Yet another reason to change your truck's oil yourself... Why add extra when Ford clearly states 6 quarts ??

Ford says 6 quarts. That means the engine requires 6 quarts. If the location of oil on some stupid cross hatch pattern bothers you, do the following:

Warm the engine up, drive the truck to a level spot and drain the oil. Let it sit for a full 30 minutes with the drain plug and oil filter removed.

Remove the dipstick and grind the markings away on it with a Dremel.

Install the drain plug and new filter, add 5 quarts to the crankcase and start the truck. Let it run for 15 minutes. Drive it to a level parking area. Shut the truck off and let it for a full 30 minutes.

Come out and check the oil level on the dipstick. Mark it with a scratch awl - this is the "Low" oil level for your truck, while parked in that particular spot.

Add 1 quart of oil, let the truck sit for at least 30 minutes and check the level on the dipstick. Mark it with a scratch awl - this is the "Normal" oil level for your truck, while parked in that particular spot.

If you check the oil at a level spot and it is between those 2 lines, you are good. If it makes you feel better, you can add a crosshatch pattern between the two lines...

Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
What a mod!!

That's the first that I've ever heard of a modification to the dip stick!

Originally Posted by B-Man
Yet another reason to change your truck's oil yourself... Why add extra when Ford clearly states 6 quarts ??

Ford says 6 quarts. That means the engine requires 6 quarts. If the location of oil on some stupid cross hatch pattern bothers you, do the following:

Warm the engine up, drive the truck to a level spot and drain the oil. Let it sit for a full 30 minutes with the drain plug and oil filter removed.

Install the drain plug and new filter, add 5 quarts to the crankcase and start the truck. Let it run for 15 minutes. Drive it to a level parking area. Shut the truck off and let it for a full 30 minutes.

Come out and check the oil level on the dipstick. Mark it with a scratch awl - this is the "Low" oil level for your truck, while parked in that particular spot.

Add 1 quart of oil, let the truck sit for at least 30 minutes and check the level on the dipstick. Mark it with a scratch awl - this is the "Normal" oil level for your truck, while parked in that particular spot.

If you check the oil at a level spot and it is between those 2 lines, you are good. If it makes you feel better, you can add a crosshatch pattern between the two lines...

Old 01-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats awsome-almost genious although sad you have to modify a dipstick
Originally Posted by B-Man

Old 01-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If the darn thing needs six, than why in heavens name did ford make the full mark wrong? These things amaze me. I have never had a car that the full mark wasnt the correct for the required oil capacity.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
I like to know if the oil pan from a 02 5.4 is the same as an oil pan on an 07 5.4.

If they are then the oil level is a moot point

Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by RacingJake
I like to know if the oil pan from a 02 5.4 is the same as an oil pan on an 07 5.4.

If they are then the oil level is a moot point
No as the 07 holds 7 quarts and the 02 6 quarts.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
hey i didn't say it was right i was just saying what we were told to do and how much it took. before and since i only put in my truck how much it calls for.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM
No Jiffy Lube puts in the extra so that there is a little extra time for you to find that they didn't tighten the drain plug properly. You might see the leak before it runs out.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lenore
If the darn thing needs six, than why in heavens name did ford make the full mark wrong? These things amaze me. I have never had a car that the full mark wasnt the correct for the required oil capacity.
They didn't mark it wrong. There is a tolerance on any part manufactured for any product. The dipstick and oil pan are no exception. Although you may have two otherwise identical engines, one may sit slightly different in the truck, one might typically be checked in a driveway that slopes up, while one might be checked in a garage that's perfectly level. One truck might have a cap and sit at a slightly different angle, etc, etc. That's why there is a range where the oil has sufficient oil for lubrication, but isn't over-filled.

Change the oil and filter. Let it drain as long as possible. Hot or cold makes no difference, just let it drain as long as humanly possible, then change the filter. Add the appropriate capacity per the owner's manual (5, 6, or7 quarts depending on the year and engine). Start the engine, let it run for a short time (1/2 hour is far far longer than necessary... a few minutes is more than sufficient), shut it off, let it stand for a couple minutes, then check it. Wherever the oil level lands on the dipstick is the full mark.

It's not necessary to add any more oil to bring it up to the top of the cross-hatched area on the dipstick. Any oil change place is trying to make an extra buck on oil by doing so. The extra oil is entirely unnecessary. An extra quart isn't going to cause seal failure (if you think so, how, pray tell?), but it's completely unnecessary.

-Joe

Quick Reply: engine oil level