97 f150 4.6 intermittent rough idle when warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TECHDOC
Also, I have many examples of perfectly good coil packs still producing quality spark at well over 200,00 miles, in fact most of the idiots I see out there that do replace them often don't need them.
How do you test a coil in a COP ignition system to make this determination ?

Last edited by jbrew; 12-11-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In my situation, I had just replaced the coils and wasnt sure/didnt think they were bad. Sometimes its just worth letting the dealer take a look at it, That is if there is a decent one in your area.

Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea , that makes sense and what did you pay after it was diagnosed to fix it? Seriously, you could have just bought the 8 NEW OEM COP's w/boots and a 1 year warranty for $85 and you wouldn't have to worry about it for awhile .

With that said, I disagree , it could have been pinned down to a COP problem using the search bar. This problem has been talked about here every other day since I joined anyway.

You may have also learned the importance of ignition integrity. You know what I mean? A healthy system is when all eight are firing the same.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thought i read somewhere along the road the dealers "can" use some sort of fancy stress tester. i wouldnt know i dont have cops, never cared this much about my own trucks misfire lol. well, as long as it could pull itself down the road with a camper on its back, its good nuff.

oh forgot, i hate throwing money at the ford guys around here. especially when i went to school with one of their "techs" and know how many cars he ruined.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:19 AM
saaber, sorry about hijacking your thread, if these drunken idiots are who you want advice from, then by all means do what you have to do. But whenever people like me offer any advise they feel threatened and lash out at whatever they wish. I just don't understand why they think they know everything when they don't and won't admit it. Again, sorry.
my 2cents. jbrew dislikes people like faster150

look around and youll see why perhaps? maybe he see's a striking resemblence in you 2? hell idk, its 3am and im goin to bed.

either which way. saaber what have you done at this point now?

Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever heard of a lab scope? There are certain specifications all manufacturers have to identify a coil breaking down, just like checking an injector. There is so much usefull information available, even from a scanner, that will almost tell the future of some components, if you would just stop and listen to what some people are saying other than trying to degrade their integrity, you might learn those things.

P.S. I will not respond to any more of your posts if you continue to be brash. This is the second time you have done this to me and don't wish to do it again.

Thanks to everyone else that have been civil, sorry if I offended anyone else.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Don't forget about the one year warrenty . Step out of your sh^t pile and prepare yourself for a higher learning - use the "search" bar
Does anybody (else) know where this $85.00 set of 8 Motorcraft coils & boots can be found?

TIA

Old 12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Does anybody (else) know where this $85.00 set of 8 Motorcraft coils & boots can be found?

TIA

I THOUGHT YOU KNEW EVERYTHING PUNKIN?

PULL OUT YOUR CRYSTAL BALL, AND FIND THEM!

WHY ARE YOU ASKING PEOPLE ON HERE FOR INFO, MR DOC!

YOU CAN USE THE KEYS IN FRONT OF YOU.

"IF YOU TYPE IT, YOU WILL SEE"

LMAO!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In all fairness

Have you ever heard of a lab scope? There are certain specifications all manufacturers have to identify a coil breaking down, just like checking an injector. There is so much usefull information available, even from a scanner, that will almost tell the future of some components, if you would just stop and listen to what some people are saying other than trying to degrade their integrity, you might learn those things.

P.S. I will not respond to any more of your posts if you continue to be brash. This is the second time you have done this to me and don't wish to do it again.

Thanks to everyone else that have been civil, sorry if I offended anyone else.
In all fairness JBrew has posted over 6000 times! That really is a lot so when you see a "new guy" jump on and shoot down valid suggestions from experienced members definitely expect some flack. I mean there really is no substitute for experience. I personally have mouthed off to a few who deserved it and a few who didn't. The most important bit of advice I can think of is that you need to take a little more time to qualify your remarks. We don't know you. For all we know you could be completely full of it. From what I can see you seem to have some general insight and knowledge on these vehicles. What a lot of the guys here have experienced from the dealership or any shop for that matter, is that you have the guy from UTI holding the scanner in his hand an literally throwing parts at the problem because that's what the manual suggests. The proof is in the pudding you know. When I was battling the 0401 code I went bananas, and I had guys just like you telling me scanner this and manual that. Clean the MAF, replace he MAF, do this do that. But it was JBrew and some other senior members that said "in our experience" you need to pull the TB and clean the ports. Guess what, no more code.
It cost me a lot of damn money to diagnose and trouble shoot this because I was listening to the certified, degreed, pedigreed, manual reading, code scanning, stress testing SOB.
I have read several of your posts and you speak intelligently and are very well mannered. Just wait a second before you type that next smart a$$ remark in replies to someone's suggestion. As I said I have made the exact same mistake. We need to keep as much knowledge on this board as possible and you seem to know your chit to some degree.

p.s. the plugs are at global auto on Ebay.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:01 PM

Good Post !! Nice to read something positive . ( :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...mZ160187013077

Last edited by jbrew; 12-11-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by malexander52
In all fairness JBrew has posted over 6000 times! That really is a lot so when you see a "new guy" jump on and shoot down valid suggestions from experienced members definitely expect some flack. I mean there really is no substitute for experience. I personally have mouthed off to a few who deserved it and a few who didn't. The most important bit of advice I can think of is that you need to take a little more time to qualify your remarks. We don't know you. For all we know you could be completely full of it. From what I can see you seem to have some general insight and knowledge on these vehicles. What a lot of the guys here have experienced from the dealership or any shop for that matter, is that you have the guy from UTI holding the scanner in his hand an literally throwing parts at the problem because that's what the manual suggests. The proof is in the pudding you know. When I was battling the 0401 code I went bananas, and I had guys just like you telling me scanner this and manual that. Clean the MAF, replace he MAF, do this do that. But it was JBrew and some other senior members that said "in our experience" you need to pull the TB and clean the ports. Guess what, no more code.
It cost me a lot of damn money to diagnose and trouble shoot this because I was listening to the certified, degreed, pedigreed, manual reading, code scanning, stress testing SOB.
I have read several of your posts and you speak intelligently and are very well mannered. Just wait a second before you type that next smart a$$ remark in replies to someone's suggestion. As I said I have made the exact same mistake. We need to keep as much knowledge on this board as possible and you seem to know your chit to some degree.

and we're all ears

Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by malexander52

People, I never shot anyone down, jbrew obviously took ofense to me encroaching on his territory and lashed at me first. I don't care how many posts a person makes, it doesn't make them knowledgeable. Throwing parts at your trucks is exactly what you are doing on this site. There is a bulletin on cleaning throttle plates concerning p0401 on th modular 8's, its been out since probably 1994. You have obviously been going to auto zone and pep boys to much, in other words the wrong places. And lastly, I haven't posted any "smart a$$" remarks toward any one that wasn't in self defense.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:45 AM

People, I never shot anyone down, jbrew obviously took ofense to me encroaching on his territory and lashed at me first. I don't care how many posts a person makes, it doesn't make them knowledgeable. Throwing parts at your trucks is exactly what you are doing on this site. There is a bulletin on cleaning throttle plates concerning p0401 on th modular 8's, its been out since probably 1994. You have obviously been going to auto zone and pep boys to much, in other words the wrong places. And lastly, I haven't posted any "smart a$$" remarks toward any one that wasn't in self defense.
Theres something seriously wrong with this cat . - Here you are , from your first post in this thread -

No one is going to be able to figure out your problem without acurate testing..:
One step at a time -

The OP had Bosch plugs in the engine. There has been countless issues in the past with those plugs. The first thing suggested was to install OEM's and go from there . The OP bypassed an engine management component . The next suggestion was to make that right to eliminate it from being the problem.

More from your FIRST post -

If you took it to a Technician who knew what they were doing in the frirst place, you wouldn't have this problem and would have probably cost you less in the long run. ..
All that was suggested at this point was to re-adjust the modifications made to the engine back to OEM condition. The plugs that the manufacturer specked for the motor and to reincorporate the engine vac reserve the OP bypassed. I would think a good technician would have suggested the same . Before that, he didn't replace anything out of the ordinary. You have NO basses for your comments . Your being a DCK at this point. No worries, stupidity catching up fast .. IMO the OP seen thru you, I think he bailed. Your Dumba$$ Dictating Disease should have stopped after his reply to your first comment. That must have been a weee bit over your head I figure - you didn't shut up.

Again, more of your babbling from your first post -

Certain parameters need to be checked to know what the computer is seeing from the different components and sensors, for one example, Are the oxygen sensor voltage readings 0 when the problem occurs, causing a misfire "feel" and not a true misfire? That is one thing a professional would do instead of replacing parts without knowing if it will fix it. ..:
Not completely true and misleading - For one , the parameters on these vehicles are set and monitored by the PCM. When components weaken or fail bringing them outside of set parameters, a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)will illuminate in most cases. Granted , not in every instance , but if the O2's where actually bad enough to create a miss , there would have been a MIL set long before getting to that point. The O2' sensors in my experience have not failed to produce a fault light when outside of parameter margins.

This statement , from post #1 pi$$ed me off, yep , you got me mad here - be proud..

Help forums can be a good thing to aid in certain types of issues but not all of them. I recomend going to a professional unless you wanted a new vehicle anyway.
More of your useless dictation - Where theres a will theres a way. Every things covered that I think of . - From brakes to replacing the resister in the computer . Some may not be comfortable with everything , yes , they should farm it out if that's the case. You sure do like attempting to make yourself look superior.. So how did cutting these forums down feel? Did it feel good. Well, these forums here deserve more credit than that. Once you leave , the coolness level will be back @ 100%.. Common, this place has helped many folks figure things out. Saving people time and dealership costs. Way back when, not to long ago , you were pretty much at the mercy of who ever was working on your vehicle .
I doubt I'd have as MANY miles on the clock , if it wasn't for this forum in particular.. I've been coming around here since 02. I didn't join for a long time - a few years anyway, I didn't have to. I found the answers to questions , usually pretty fast once I got here. Searching the web back then troubleshooting truck problems landed me here most of the time..

I honestly have to say , I have never seen someone this inaccurate carry on as long as you have. You called me an idiot , no big deal- I don't really give a frogs fat a$$. You referred to quite few people as idiots . Not only the few here , but people you've had dealings with in the past..
Well whatever, first I thought you were just an a$$ who had a bad day or something. That's changed some , your just not right...In-fact , your way off, on just about everything man..

The P0401 comment above is just freakin awesome, thanks

Last edited by jbrew; 12-12-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 AM

No,No Nooo -Lab Scope ? Commoonnnnn.... - I talking out in the field doc.. Were not dissecting frogs out here - I don't really care what a coil looks like close up - Hell , I just want them to work..

Re-read all my posts , then yours Yea , I think you out "brash" me .. If that's a bad thing?- Is that a word?

Alright , you probably know this already, just in case - the PCM shoots a low voltage signal to each coil in a COP system. Coils convert signal to pulse. Coils can pass Primary and Secondary testing and still be bad as you know. Coil pulse can be monitored via probe test light.

Wouldn't that be something if you could stretch all that out and monitor pulse under load conditions from inside the cab during the drive cycle. ?

You would have yourself a homemade stress test .... It would beat the hell out of looking for COP germs thru your Giro scope or whatever..

Last edited by jbrew; 12-12-2007 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:00 AM
all this bickering and i still dont know if the op fixed his miss or if he got tired of the **** and sold it lol

Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Klitch
all this bickering and i still dont know if the op fixed his miss or if he got tired of the **** and sold it lol

I think he listed it on Craigs List, He really didn't sound like he wanted to deal with after doin the plugs. If you don't like wrenching - doing the plugs in one these for the first time doesn't help with that much..

I seen those MS pics of you and the little one finally -Dad ( : Good Job. You get the motor back yet ?

Last edited by jbrew; 12-12-2007 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 97 f150 4.6 intermittent rough idle when warm