---- Anyone Use 89 Octane on their 4.6L? ----

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been running 91 plus octane, 94 too sometimes since 2000 and it seems to give better all around performance. Keeps that rig goin' pretty good. Plugs were changed and looked very clean burning. I have a Superchip's chip made to run on no less than premium. To say a normal vehicle has to run anything more than 87 is untrue, except like high end cars and hi-po stuff. Running premium is like a little treat.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
I've been running 91 plus octane, 94 too sometimes since 2000 and it seems to give better all around performance. Keeps that rig goin' pretty good. Plugs were changed and looked very clean burning. I have a Superchip's chip made to run on no less than premium. To say a normal vehicle has to run anything more than 87 is untrue, except like high end cars and hi-po stuff. Running premium is like a little treat.
I think it was specified that retuned ECUs are designed to run on higher octane, no one is arguing that, and it is no longer a "normal vehicle".

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I've never noticed a difference. I put 85 in mine. I can get away with it cuz i live in SLC with decently high elevation. If i take it towards sea level i put a high octane in to aviod pinging, but its just fine to run the 85 where i live. Mines also a 94 with the 351. But unless you have a caddy or lexus (etc.) up here there is no need for premium even in new cars.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by gpaje
Let me begin by saying that I was the first to say that “you don't need to use higher octane gas on cars/trucks that were designed to run on 87 octane”. I always said it was a waste of money, and only your mind was telling you it worked better to run higher octane gas.

That was until 89 octane was accidentally put into my 04' Expedition EB. My wife filled the tank in my Expy, and I started to notice how well my truck seemed to run. I also noticed that I gained 1.5 mpg under mixed driving. After finding the receipt on the cupholder, it shown that she pumped 89 octane!

Before I noticed these improvements (more peppy, better mileage), I had no idea she used anything other than regular gas, so the placebo effect doesn't explain my better seat of the pants and mileage improvements.

Does anyone else here use 89 or higher octane on their 4.6L V8 trucks/SUVs? Have you experienced the same thing as me?
yes I agree that running 89 octane fuel my kitchen 1.5 more in gas mileage
I run 89 octane fuel for my 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis now I started doing this back door the summer after I found out that my electronic knock sensor which is inside the lighting control modular who is giving me reasons why I was pinging back during the heat of summer when my air conditioner was running so I started

Old 12-31-2017, 01:35 AM
Ford 4.6 L engineering

As I said before running 89 octane in a 4.6 L Ford engine that has more than a hundred fifty thousand miles might be the correct thing to do depending on your timing and issues like that sometimes hanging might occur depending on the fuel that you buy circumstances involving the wear and tear on the electronics one thing I can say is that I'm doing it because it stopped the pinging back when my air conditioner started the pain when it was 95 degrees out in my air conditioner was pumping on Max all the time I had to run the 89 octane fuel I change my fuel filter and switch t
o 89 I've been running 89 ever since 89 print out the valves in the engine after another 20,000 miles somebody check back with me next year and I'll let you know because that's about what I put on my car each year 20,000 miles and I've been stuck with 89 now for almost 8 months so good luck everyone and drive safe

Old 12-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread is over 10 years old.

Quick Reply: ---- Anyone Use 89 Octane on their 4.6L? ----