Long Crank !!!!!!!!!! Help !!!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Crank !!!!!!!!!! Help !!!!!!

Ok, I have read all the other posts, but no help...I have a 2004 EB 4.6 Expy with about 86,000 miles. All of a sudden I tried to start it one day and it didn't start the first try as it usually did, and it has been doing it for over 2 months...When I turn the key and crank for 2-3 seconds it dosen't start, I let off, then crank again for about 2 seconds and it starts (although it sometimes runs rough for about 2-3 seconds after it is started, then it smooths out and runs fine)...The first thing I did was change the fuel filter, didn't help...I checked the air filter (like new). I changed the spark plugs, didn't help. The battery checks good and cranks strong. It runs excellent even at full throttle and idles great(except where previously noted). It doesn't blow any smoke out the exhaust when it does finally start up. I tried turning the key to just before the starting position and let it set there for 3-5 seconds before cranking, but that does nothing to help. I have tried different brands and octanes of gas, and have ran fuel injection cleaner through it twice. I really do not want to take it to the dealer, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks...P.S. once in a while it will just start the first try, but probably only once in 35-45 starts.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Clean MAF, IAC, check TB and intake for carbon? Is a three second crank out of "spec"?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would check the fuel pressure and make sure the pressure is not dropping after setting. Do this buy putting fuel pressure gauges on and turn the key to see if you have low pressure. Another check would be to run the engine for a few minutes and cut it off, but leave the gauges on for 30 mins. and see if the gauge falls to zero. I think you have a returnless fuel system.

Last edited by torkum; 09-12-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do fords have the 3 second fuel pump cutoff thing??.i remember my dakota if after so many seconds of not starting it had some kind of fuel pump shut off feature. probably to save starter and battery.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
do fords have the 3 second fuel pump cutoff thing??.i remember my dakota if after so many seconds of not starting it had some kind of fuel pump shut off feature. probably to save starter and battery.
Ford runs the fuel pump for approximately three seconds when you first turn on the key, to pressurize the system. This pressure (around 39#) should hold for quite some time if you turn the key back off. The fuel pressure regulator will hold the return line closed under 39# pressure, and there is a one-way check valve in the in-tank fuel pump. Failure of the regulator or the fuel pump will result in a low/no fuel pressure condition and cause hard starting; however, the vehicle usually runs fine after startup. The rough running after startup would indicate a third possibility: A leaky fuel injector, which floods the engine as well as causing a loss of pressure. If loss of fuel pressure turns out to be the problem, my bet is on the leaky fuel injector. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Spicoli
Ok, I have read all the other posts, but no help...I have a 2004 EB 4.6 Expy with about 86,000 miles. All of a sudden I tried to start it one day and it didn't start the first try as it usually did, and it has been doing it for over 2 months...When I turn the key and crank for 2-3 seconds it dosen't start, I let off, then crank again for about 2 seconds and it starts (although it sometimes runs rough for about 2-3 seconds after it is started, then it smooths out and runs fine)...The first thing I did was change the fuel filter, didn't help...I checked the air filter (like new). I changed the spark plugs, didn't help. The battery checks good and cranks strong. It runs excellent even at full throttle and idles great(except where previously noted). It doesn't blow any smoke out the exhaust when it does finally start up. I tried turning the key to just before the starting position and let it set there for 3-5 seconds before cranking, but that does nothing to help. I have tried different brands and octanes of gas, and have ran fuel injection cleaner through it twice. I really do not want to take it to the dealer, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks...P.S. once in a while it will just start the first try, but probably only once in 35-45 starts.
Sorry but I've been out of the field for a few years now but when I was a Tech the long crank (granted that you checked your basics like fuel, air, breathing, oh yea, the clogged exaust) was usually due to a fuel pressue switch going out. Now you say that the fuel pressure switch goes out and it should not run but ford and Gm have made a secondary starting path for you just in case this happens. If a Gm looses its fuel pressure switch it will take a few seconds more to start because now it has to go to the oil pressure switch to turn the fuel pump on, this is the delay that will excite most tech. If I can remerber correctly Ford uses the crank shaft or cam shaft sensor to do the same issue. Also the p/u hose inside the tank could be letting fuel past but the pressure test will identify this. Don't let shade-trees work on this issue. They usually start throwing parts at it till it's fixed. I've had this happen to me @ Ford before.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Oh, just mermember, Have you changed the starter anytime soon. Here's the problem that I had: Vehicle was a no crank no start just clicked, nothing hard, so I went to my favoriate place and got me one of them there rebuilt high $ starters or about 200 and installed it. Man she spun up really good but it was still a no start, smelt fuel which was odd because it was fuel injected not carb. So I scanned data on crank and found that the ECM was reporting 3000 rpm @ crank. WOW. To make a short story long, the chemicals that the rebuilder used to rebuild the starter ate away at the windings causing a large elecrtomagnetic field to gererate and fooled the hall effect switch into thinking that the engine was running at Crank. What I was supposed to see was about 400 to 500 rpm. So the fuel smell was the ECM thought the engine was running so it was throwing a full volume of fuel at the cylinders! Took a couple of hours to figure that crap out. Need a scanner to solve this one if that's the case. Good luck

Old 09-13-2007, 12:11 PM
sounds like FPR is going out the newer electronics ones dont seem to last to long.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what you've got.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:46 PM
My 05 F-150 did something similar a few times a little while ago.

Changed the fuel filter and haven't had a problem since.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2003 EB 5.4 Expy same thing since new I'm 2ND owner at 20k miles
Ford said it was normal I said BS never fix it some times starts right up some times 4,5 secs I have tried new filter turn key on off two times before start leave keys on for 4,5 secs before start still cranks long

Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I had an intermittent problem with mine not starting, and it was getting worse. Whenever it would not start, the 'anti theft' light on the dash would flash. Turned out the electronics in my key were going bad. Swapped to my spare key and have not had a problem since.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:53 PM
If it was a leaking injector that bled off the pressure on the fuel system, wouldn't turning the key on for a few seconds before starting build the pressure back up and nullify that issue??

Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 AM
""""sounds like FPR is going out the newer electronics ones dont seem to last to long.""""

Where is the FPR located???

Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
If it was a leaking injector that bled off the pressure on the fuel system, wouldn't turning the key on for a few seconds before starting build the pressure back up and nullify that issue??
You're flooding a cylinder every time you turn the key on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long Crank !!!!!!!!!! Help !!!!!!