Aight, come on ford!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aight, come on ford!

Lemme preface this by saying this is my first post here, and this is the first ford i've owned outside of a 1967 F100 years back.

I was in the market for a new truck, and I really liked this one. But to be 100% honest i was always a big chevy guy.

I ended up gettin a 2007 F150 with the 5.4/auto. Has 89k miles on it. Just got it in december of 2011. I don't know when the last trans flush was, i planned to have that done in may or so, since not 100k yet. In reality it doesnt feel like a trans issue, unless its like not getting the memo its time to accelerate properly. Feels more like an electrical issue and possible missing.

Now the issue. I have seen this similar issue on google, i just dont know which thing to check first for a cause.

When I am cruising @ say 45mph, and let off the gas, rpm drops, when i re-accelerate, it chugs and kicks a lil...sometimes. Not always, but enough to make me get worried already. I also notice it on like corner, where i slow down to take a long sweeping corner, and as i accelerate out of it it chugs and kicks at low rpm.

I have heard about coils being an issue, also water down a spark plug hole? I know i wash up and under the wheels wells thoroughly when i wash it, and also get underbody with automatic carwashes. So could this be the reason? I do seem to notice it worse after a wash I feel like. I mean I know my dirt bike has a bleed hole for the deep spark plug...do these?

If there is a more common problem, lemme know where to check first. Right now I have no code as I dont think its happened enough to trigger one.

Thanks guys!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a misfire. With almost 90,000 miles on it I'd change the plugs.

If you have water in a plug hole you got other issues....

Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Please don't flush your transmission first off, get a fluid EXCHANGE and new filter. Flushing a higher mileage transmission is frowned upon. At 89k miles my first guess would be it needs new spark plugs or coils. I would double check all of the coils to make sure they aren't loose and have a good connection before you start spending money.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the speedy responses guys. Far as the fluid, the previous owner may have had an exchange done at one time. Besides a little dent on the tailgate this truck is immaculate for an 07...so, I am kinda thinkin he was also good @ maintenance.

Also, I do know how FLUSHES can cause more harm then good, but I heard from a mechanic friend, thats typically when not done correctly. ?? any thought on that.

I plan to do the plugs soon, but if this is the issue, then sooner then i thought.

Also what did you mean bout the more problems if water in the plug hole thing?

I really love this truck so far, so i am hoping this is easily ironed out. Thanks again guys.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Do the plugs and also clean the MAF and the throttle body.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by F1Fitty98
Thanks for the speedy responses guys. Far as the fluid, the previous owner may have had an exchange done at one time. Besides a little dent on the tailgate this truck is immaculate for an 07...so, I am kinda thinkin he was also good @ maintenance.

Also, I do know how FLUSHES can cause more harm then good, but I heard from a mechanic friend, thats typically when not done correctly. ?? any thought on that.

I plan to do the plugs soon, but if this is the issue, then sooner then i thought.

Also what did you mean bout the more problems if water in the plug hole thing?

I really love this truck so far, so i am hoping this is easily ironed out. Thanks again guys.
Personally I wouldn't want to flush the transmission. With a flush you're pushing the fluid through the transmission with a machine. I'm not sure what the pressure is that the machine pushes the fluid is but I'm fairly certain it uses a lot of pressure. Too much pressure will break free sludge (if any) and that's when you can start having problems.
With a fluid exchange the transmission pump does all the work so you don't really run the risk of breaking anything free. It sucks the new fluid in and pushes the old fluid out.

If you have water inside the actual plug hole you'll bend a rod. Water doesn't compress. I think what you're saying is water/condensation around the COP boot which could cause a misfire. I've never had that problem but I have read on here about it happening to other people.

My truck had the same symptoms before I changed the plugs. It was subtle but I thought it was a transmission problem too. Haven't felt it since I've changed the plugs 15,000 miles ago.

It's amazing how these modular engines react to a misfire. If you have a miss on one cylinder you'd think it was only running on 2 cylinders.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Yea, I meant water got by the boot and sitting down in there, not IN the motor.

Also, thats good input of havin the problem, then going away after plugs. It may very well just need them. I have a buddy who had an older F150, but similar...said he can help me with the plug change. He knows a lot bout f150s too, and his opinion was a misfire.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 PM
At 89k miles a plug change wouldn't hurt, might as well do it. I had the same issue and new plugs fixed it.

Don't do the tranny flush, it's the flushing itself that can cause the problems, even done correctly a flush is still a flush. Lol. Just do the exchange and don't risk it!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
If he's never done a plug change on a 04+ 5.4 3 valve, you both need to read up on how to do it. It is *NOT* straightforward.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 PM
GLC yea my buddy has done them before, he is aware of the potential problems, and I have also been looking into that as well. Next, I have decided I may just do coils and plugs all at the same time and all of them, rather then chasing one around if it is the problem..since i have no code yet. Just tryin to weed through the 8 million opinions on which coils suck, haha.

Based on my description of the problem tho, does it seem most likely to be a misfire due to one of these 2 things? I will also get the trans fluid "exchanged" but, i am thinkin this should include a filter too?

Really thinking it has somethin to do with electrical tho, as like i said, i noticed it bad yesterday after i got a car wash with underbody spraying.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Ill see how if it does it much tomorrow on way to work since its been sitting today (bein lazy lol)

Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Yes they should drop the pan and change the filter when the exchange is done. It really sounds like plugs going on on ya tho, but you never know there's always a chance it's something else.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Def still doin it today, lol...was hopin it coulda just been a simple water issue. Either way, these plugs are only 10k away from "recommended" interval. So, just gonna bite the bullet and get the plugs and the coils and take it to my buddies for a weekend. Take plenty of time and follow the best way to do this to MINIMIZE the chance of breaking them. So...

1) I have heard to run a couple tanks of gas through prior to attempting this with a quality fuel system cleaner to possibly break up some of the carbon inside? Any merit? If so, recommendation on a brand?

2) I will do it as the bulletin says, room temp, crack em loose enough to spray some penetrating lube down there, and let em sit over night. Use the torque wrench when tryin to back em out as to not overdo the torque on them in reverse. And stop if it clicks, try the retighten re-loosen trick, if not, spray and let sit for another hour or so. Won't go through the whole bulletin, but basically planning to start this on a fri night and take all weekend if doing it low n slow will minimize my risk of breaking them.

3) My buddy has access to the extractor tool. Get that just in case...and hope I wont need it, lol...gl.

4) Heard to switch to the champion 1 piece plugs? I guess looking for best recommendation on which plug and coil set to go with. Not too concerned with the $ of the coil set as long as they are reliable. Hate to keep buying junk ones, if a slightly better set lasts. Not saying higher $ automatically = longer lasting...but you get the idea.

5) thanks for the help on this. I just bought the truck in december...and i bet the previous owner seen this issue and said ok, time for a new truck, LOL!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by F1Fitty98
Def still doin it today, lol...was hopin it coulda just been a simple water issue. Either way, these plugs are only 10k away from "recommended" interval. So, just gonna bite the bullet and get the plugs and the coils and take it to my buddies for a weekend. Take plenty of time and follow the best way to do this to MINIMIZE the chance of breaking them. So...

1) I have heard to run a couple tanks of gas through prior to attempting this with a quality fuel system cleaner to possibly break up some of the carbon inside? Any merit? If so, recommendation on a brand?

2) I will do it as the bulletin says, room temp, crack em loose enough to spray some penetrating lube down there, and let em sit over night. Use the torque wrench when tryin to back em out as to not overdo the torque on them in reverse. And stop if it clicks, try the retighten re-loosen trick, if not, spray and let sit for another hour or so. Won't go through the whole bulletin, but basically planning to start this on a fri night and take all weekend if doing it low n slow will minimize my risk of breaking them.

3) My buddy has access to the extractor tool. Get that just in case...and hope I wont need it, lol...gl.

4) Heard to switch to the champion 1 piece plugs? I guess looking for best recommendation on which plug and coil set to go with. Not too concerned with the $ of the coil set as long as they are reliable. Hate to keep buying junk ones, if a slightly better set lasts. Not saying higher $ automatically = longer lasting...but you get the idea.

5) thanks for the help on this. I just bought the truck in december...and i bet the previous owner seen this issue and said ok, time for a new truck, LOL!
Ford revised the recommended interval to 60k so your 30k PAST the recommended interval. I've been told Champions might be ok if you examine each plugs ceramic for cracks, Been told they seem to last ok as long as you pull out a magnifier and look at each plug. No crack and they seem to work ok.
Techron is tthe only proven fuel system cleaner. Use it. I would by 4 bottles run 2 through a tank and run 2 more through another..

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I just did my plugs this weekend as it was having the same stuttering issues from 1200-1500 rpm off throttle.

Broke 6 of 8 plugs getting them out. Luckily I didn't break the one closest to the firewall on the passenger side, as it is the hardest to get to.

Took me about 7 hours. Good luck. The Listle tool is a life saver!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aight, come on ford!