V10 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress Report

Well after a few snags today damn boneyard wiring harness. Found a broken wire in the trans harness i got from a "good" bone yard. That blew a few hours. It now runs with no codes well.... except the intrument cluster flipping out trying to do its antitheft thing. As i suspected and hoped pats is a non issues you just need to remove the blub from the dash . Since the super duty pcm has noidea what pats is it cannot understand it (my breakdown. It has some power too i was testing the tq on the motor for clearance and it seems that meerly breaking idle with the foot on the break creates a garage full of blue haze . It is a super smooth motor. I hoped for that with only 20000 on it. It just needs a bit more cosmetic reassembly and it will be rolling down the road.

Also swapped the cherrybomb for a magnaflow 3" in and out. Shounds a little better but will still need to play a bit. The cherry was way ricey.

Pics updated - http://camdenlake.ca/PhotoAlbums/album_1183291875/

Thanks for following along.

Josh

Old 07-15-2007, 10:59 PM
all i can say is... sweet!

Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 AM
Doesn't look too much more packed than the stock 5.4L in there does. Nice job man, going to run it at the drag strip?

I like this better than supercharger kits: you can still run regular unleaded.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:14 AM
i forgot to ask, did you have any oil pan clearance issues?

Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 AM
j

The oil pan works well stock. It has about 1" clearance as it sits. Overall i think i have the engine lower by a fair bit over all so lower CG .

Once i upgrade the rear end to ls i will be at the strip for sure. I will probly go soon anyway but the open diff kinda sucks. I am planning on the frpp worm gear style diff.

I agree on the supercharger for many reasons. It make more power bone stock i think than a blown 5.4 and none of the wear and tear. I also have helped it out with better exhaust and the hoter coils. I also plan on headers perhaps but have heard some say they took away from the performance so i am undecided on that.

Once mobile (hope in the next day or 2) will have some driving data for you folks.

Not to encourage anyone to copy me but it is more or less the same width as a 5.4 just abit longer which is easy to account for with motor mounts. I have about 1" from the firewall to head clearance.

Thanks

Josh

Also by my math its abit less than a 5.4 blower kit so far. But i got the engine trans and goodies dirt cheap.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:00 PM
About how much was the whole swap, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Well thats no problem. I have not done a total and probly won't . i would estimate around $6000 all in. This also includes some upgrade bits and what not. I figure with the renwed truck its way cheaper than buy another full size truck and it wouldnt be as much fun.

Thanks
Josh

Old 07-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Not bad at all, if the 5.4L in mine ever gets tired, I know what I'm going to do...

That's an especially good deal considering you got a newer transmission and engine for a little more than a blower setup...

I take it it's probably cheaper for a 2wd setup since you don't need to buy the transfer case and torsion bars...

Last edited by SRockwood; 07-17-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im very curious as to how it runs. Cant wait to see some vids, track times, or dyno charts! Good job

Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by built54
im very curious as to how it runs. Cant wait to see some vids, track times, or dyno charts! Good job
X2 on that one, Need way more pics and vids.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 AM
So is the anticipation on the V10 swap as good as waiting for a Troyer tune?

I am really pumped about those numbers the V10 will bring.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:18 PM
the v10 is only 4 inches longer but the same width as a 5.4

Old 07-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Update

Well it is all back together was raining last night so no pics yet. Took it for a drive somthing is not quite right. There is a speed sensor intermitiant which is putting the trans into gutless limp mode. I think the speed senor on the tcase adaptor got "tweakd" at some point . I hope to get it tested tonight. Drove down the road a bit its seems to have some good accel evenwith the code. There is also a slight hesitation on throtle response but that could be old gas or somthing like that the truck is very low on gas and has been sitting for quite a while. Should have the kinks id'd and sorted out tonight or over the weekend depending on parts then should have some numbers and some vid and pics. But it runs and moves

Josh

Old 07-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Update....................

Originally Posted by SRockwood
Not bad at all, if the 5.4L in mine ever gets tired, I know what I'm going to do...

That's an especially good deal considering you got a newer transmission and engine for a little more than a blower setup...

I take it it's probably cheaper for a 2wd setup since you don't need to buy the transfer case and torsion bars...

yes you would be correct i would say about %50 less work on a 4x2. But way less usefull for me.

Well for the update. Sorry guys i have had a delay for what i hope is the last part. I hope to have it monday expensive litte bugger too. I got the 7700 leafs in and did another burn out in my driveway. Not sure how long tires will last. It is running better everytime i run it. That hesitation it gone now. I suspect it just needs some driving as the engine sat over a year before i got. It starts better than the 5.4 just a flick of the key. I will do my best to get some vid and more pics if i get it done eairly enough tomorrow evening. I will post the vid on you tube i figure thats the easyist. My air intake setup is not my fav but will do for now. Gonna make that hole bigger with yea old plasma cutter to help out. Was thinking of fabbing a piece of aluminum sheet to work as a down draft to keep the hot fan air off the intake charge? What do you guys think?

Thanks for following my crazy project.

Josh

Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Man, very cool project, I honestly thought it fall through the cracks when you had it halfway finished. I have the solution for your diff. though, until you get your set-up, turn it into a lincoln locker since it sounds like your gonna scrap everything anyways, fixes your problem of that pesky open diff Can't wait to see finished pics, I hope you enjoy your new truck when it's finally finished.

Quick Reply: V10 Swap