Changing Plugs for 04'

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Plugs for 04'

I know there are a lot of threads regarding the plug issue with the new body style, but I'm just curious if you guys think there will be any difficulties if I were to go ahead and change my plugs out before the 100k mark. Currently I'm at about 53k on the 5.4 3v and just want to avoid any issues with breaking the plugs during extraction. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockcoastie
I know there are a lot of threads regarding the plug issue with the new body style, but I'm just curious if you guys think there will be any difficulties if I were to go ahead and change my plugs out before the 100k mark. Currently I'm at about 53k on the 5.4 3v and just want to avoid any issues with breaking the plugs during extraction. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi.

I'd review those threads, particularly the ones regarding the TSB, and follow that procedure to the letter.

This thread is as good as any ...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ighlight=plugs

For sure, R&R them early & often to avoid breakage issue in the future.

See Quintin's advice for which plug to replace the stockers with.

Set aside ample time (there is a soak period, for example, for the stuff you squirt into the sparkplug wells), print out the instructions, line up all your tools/supplies, plenty of chilled celebratory liquids for use upon completion, pehaps a buddy or two for moral support, etc... all the obvious stuff...

Good luck! Please post back how it went...

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-11-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

I'd review those threads, particularly the ones regarding the TSB, and follow that procedure to the letter.

This thread is as good as any ...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ighlight=plugs

For sure, R&R them early & often to avoid breakage issue in the future.

See Quintin's advice for which plug to replace the stockers with.

Set aside ample time (there is a soak period, for example, for the stuff you squirt into the sparkplug wells), print out the instructions, line up all your tools/supplies, plenty of chilled celebratory liquids for use upon completion, pehaps a buddy or two for moral support, etc... all the obvious stuff...

Good luck! Please post back how it went...

Cheers
Bubba
Thanks for the advice Bubba. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I have the time to do this project, but it will be taken care of soon. Oh and thanks for reminding me about having ample celebratory liquids on hand. That is always a required pay off after a project. Also, is there a recommended brand for replacement?

Last edited by Rockcoastie; 04-11-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Hey there, I just changed out all my plugs in my 06 F150 5.4l. 62,000 kms.The dealer qouted me $880.00 to change out at 4hr labour to change. I did it myself. I made sure the engine was still very warm almost to hot to work on. I worked on each clynder at once making sure to blow out any debris out of the clynders after the coil was pulled. I replaced the old sparks with the new ones from dealership. It took me exactly 1.5 hrs to do, including 20 mins of fishing out a peeble on the last hole of the day. Plugs came out very easily when still warm. No special tools used, other than some long fingers to pull and reinstall plugs. Hope this helps some what.

Later

JWide

Quick Reply: Changing Plugs for 04'