Exhaust leak from manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust leak from manifold.

When ever I would start my truck I noticed what sounded like an exhaust leak. I wasn't certain that it was an exhaust leak because it seemed like it would stop when the truck was in neutral. Took it to my mechanic and he discovered a leak right at the manifold/block connection. Turns out one of the bolts that fastens the manifold to the block broke off. He is going to try to drill the bolt out.

My question is if he is unsuccessful drilling the bolt, what would be the next best option? The truck is a 1999 with 150 k on it, so i'm not really interested in pumping huge amounts of money into it. I was thinking maybe some sort of high-temp silicone to seal the gap would do the trick. With the constant exhaust pressure, however, i'm not sure if that would work very well. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Matt

1999 F-150
5.4 V8 4x4

Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the silocone wont work. is the stud broken off above the manifold???if so he can weld a nut on the stud and spin it off with a socket. if not goinf to have to try a easy out bit or a left handed bit to get it out. thats a common problem on these motors from mid 90s. my 97 had the same problem. took me 6 hours to fix it. and that was just one side.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Search on "exhaust stud" and you will get much info. Many of us have repaired this in different ways. My 99' lost its stud at 44K

Dealer est was $710. If he can't drill the stud you are in a tough place as he has already screwed your stud. Most would remove manifold and weld a nut to stud. Of course more studs will break.....

Last edited by raisin; 04-10-2007 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak from manifold.