New Truck, but old engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck, but old engine?

I recently had a TrueFlo intake installed on my 05 4.6l F150. A place called the "The Custom Shop" in Las Vegas performed the install. The wierd thing was, was that the first intake the guy had ordered, when i brought my truck it for him to install it, he said that my truck actually had an older F150 engine and he had to reorder a different intake for an older model. I was baffeled. He was telling me that my new 05 F150, actually had an older model F150 engine. (Like 03 and below) The engine hadnt been used but it was just an older model. He told me that ford had done this to alot of their new trucks because they had alot of extra engines made. He wasnt able to tell me what model the engine was from. Mind, I bought this truck brand new from the dealer in May of 2005. So im totally confused. But if this does happen to be true, does that mean that older F150 parts, like the older F150 4.6l superchargers , will work on my truck? Because if that is true than this may be great news. Because noone seems to have released a 4.6L supercharger for 04+ model F150s.

Thanks,
Twist

Old 04-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id be going to a different place...

Old 04-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look on your engine and it should have a date code on it somewhere. Ford doesn't use left over engines. Ford uses just in time manufacturing to keep inventory down. So there are no left overs to use.The electronics would be current to that model year too. I think the guy just didn't want your business

Old 04-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chris1450
look on your engine and it should have a date code on it somewhere. Ford doesn't use left over engines. Ford uses just in time manufacturing to keep inventory down. So there are no left overs to use.The electronics would be current to that model year too. I think the guy just didn't want your business
actually, its minimal left overs. there are a few months they have to drag some old stuff over, but thats usually a planned idea....
look at the 04 heritage.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:11 AM
My Heritage has the "new" motor in it, if there is such a beast, it has the same motor that went into the new body style. I was told that this was a good way for Ford to do a little testing of some new componets on the cheap.

I don't have any problem with the 4.6 in my truck. I don't pull anything and only haul around motorcycles once in a while. It wasn't bought to race or as a young guy truck anyway....

Old 04-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chris1450
^^ This makes sense.
How about the guy ordered the wrong one, and covered his butt with a wild story?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Arrow

My truck was built on a March 25th in Norfolk VA.
My engine was built on a March 23rd in Windsor Canada.

Engine built, packed/shipped 1600 miles, installed in truck, and truck out the door, in 48 hours.

That's just in time parts.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Sounds like the guy either didn't know what he was doing and simply wanted to get you out the door, or ordered the wrong part and tried to cover with some goofy story, hoping you would buy it.

If you're really concerned, get the date code off the motor and look it up online, or ask somebody here. $100 says the motor was made within a week prior to the truck's manu date.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This guy is giving you a line even if they had left overs from the 03 hard to believe they would show up in a 05 model.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
My truck was built on a March 25th in Norfolk VA.
My engine was built on a March 23rd in Windsor Canada.

Engine built, packed/shipped 1600 miles, installed in truck, and truck out the door, in 48 hours.

That's just in time parts.
I'll beat you on that -- when I look at the date codes that are stickered on some of the parts of my truck, they actually fall on a date that is after the date of manufacture listed on my window sticker!

I have no idea how that could happen, although I suspect the date of manufacture shown on the window stickers of our trucks might not be as accurate as we suspect.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
...I suspect the date of manufacture shown on the window stickers of our trucks might not be as accurate as we suspect.
My dealership is only about 25 niles from the assemblyplant.
My build date says March 25th and the dealership called me on March 31st.

Maybe they post-date their build dates just like my grocery store post-dates their milk.

Quick Reply: New Truck, but old engine?