Needs better Highway manners

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Needs better Highway manners

I've always used my truck for highway trips for parts pick-ups. Sometimes 1000 mile round trips. Well recently I took a small trip to Michigan to pick up my engine. On the way there my truck was performing like udder ****. I had to get into passing gear everytime I wanted to speed up. I was burning gas like no other. 65 MPH cruising I would put the pedal down and no sign of power. I would go a little further and still, RPMs were not going up. So like always I got pissed and just floored it. I mean the truck was sucking ***** the entire trip.

I need to fix this before I leave for school(950 miles) later this year. I know I have several problems to address before performance mods. I have to replace both head gaskets since both of them leak oil. I also have to replace the oil lines since they also leak oil. Also plan on spark plugs and wires.

Now for the performance mods.

I want to ad the Troyer E-fan since the stock fan robs horsepower. I know I need an exhaust, but I might just glass pack it since I cannot afford a full system. I have a drop-in K&N, but I think I am going to make a CAI.

After this I have no idea what to mod. I need extra power so I dont keep on having to drop her into passing gear just to speed up. That takes about half a gallon just itself.

so what other mods should I be looking at to do to up my highway performance?

thanks

Old 03-29-2007, 01:30 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Fix the leaking head gasket problem first and then go from there. There is no use trying to do the other stuff if the engine is not up to spec. Your poor gas mileage and or power could be caused by the leak Check the oil level regularly. You would be surprised what being down a quart can do. I have a leak on both head gaskets and if I don't keep on top of it I can get down 2 quarts. Power and mileage comes back with the addition of the required amount of oil. I have most of the required parts to fix the leak and I am just waiting for more sunshine.

JMC

Old 03-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Suspended
I plan to do the headgaskets first thing after I get the IROC done so I'm not out on my truck for a few days. I also check the oil a few times the week.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I just built my own fan controller and bought a fan off ebay for a total project cost of less then 70 dollars... I spent 4 hours on the high way last night and OMG the gain on the highway is incredible, i drove the same route i normally drive and there are several longer hills that at 70mph near the top the truck would drop out of OD.... I dont think the entire trip i came out of OD with cruise on.... Its amazing the big gain i got from taking a fan off. Ive noticed its a little more peppy in the city, but wow the highway stuff really impressed me.
-Patrick

Old 03-29-2007, 01:50 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Do the plug wire change and then get new front O2 sensors. then talk to Mike Troyer about a custom tune for your truck. That is the best bang for the buck. E-fans will free up some power and long tube headers and free flowing exhaust will add some.

JMC

Old 03-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Suspended
I did not want to do headers or a full exhaust. I do not plan on having the 4.6 in this truck for much longer.

I like the sounds of this E-fan setup Pat has. I might look into a fan and a controlling switch.

Quick Reply: Needs better Highway manners