My 4.6 seems to be going down hill

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 4.6 seems to be going down hill

Last weekend I wanted to reprogram my engine, it was running fine with the settings I had before; I just wanted to lighten up the shift pressure so I wouldn’t kill my transition. I kept the shift points in the same place but bumped the shift pressure down a little using my superchip tuner. Then I went down to the Ford dealership to get some prices on harley signal lamps and on my way home my truck started chocking hard. It didn’t hesitate when I put the gas down, there was no engine light on, no odd noises, it seemed to function like it should but with half the power. The part that really scared me was how quiet it was. The super truck exhaust is usually really loud. When I got home, I tried programming it again, but that didn’t seem to help. I tried brining it back to stock and then performance. That didn’t work. It has been a few days and my engine seems to be getting worse. Is my engine dying? I have 110,000 miles on it and expected at least another forty thousand. About a week ago, before this started happening, I put a high mileage engine restorer/cleaner in with the oil (which was changed not long ago). I also put in a fuel additive, but I don’t think that would be causing it. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the brands for the additive or restorer. Do I need to be looking for a new engine?

Old 03-29-2007, 03:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you try rebooting the comp? I would set it back stock and disconnect the batt for a 1/2 hour or so to confirm a true reboot..

If that don't work (I think it will) Reset the KAM this way , set it back to stock pull the neg cable only , touch it to the pos cable while it's still on the batt (don't worry it won't blow up)

This resets the KAM Memory and you can reconnect the neg cable right after..

What you neede is a full Reboot , you the need PCM to re-test and re-set .. Something went buggy , it needs a "zap" of the parameters..

Last edited by jbrew; 03-29-2007 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
If it all of a sudden went quiet, you may have an exhaust restriction - collapsed muffler baffles, clogged converter, etc.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Yea it sounds like you may have bad cats, which could really hinder the performance if they aren't flowing like they should.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Reboot/Gibson

I tried bringing the computer back to stock and leaving the negative cable off for 30 to 45 minutes and, after reconnecting that made my truck much more responsive with the stock settings. I tried retuning it again once everything seemed better, but the performance tune sucked. For some reason I can’t get it to perform like it did two weeks ago. So, I’m going to try the full reboot as suggested. I’m pretty sure that the problem does not lye in the exhaust, I added the Gibson cat-back about three thousand miles ago. If there is anything I can do as far as maintenance between the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold that could make the truck louder; let me know.
I also have another question that pertains to my brothers 02 Taho. Now I know it’s not a Ford and it’s not a truck, I give my brother a hard time about that, but I was installing a Gibson dual cat back on his Taho and I noticed that the instructions show a catalytic converter in the diagram. Yet, they show it in the diagram like it was a part and they don’t include it in the parts list. So, is this supposed to be some kind of spacer? Am I missing something?

Old 04-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Yeah, the full reboot worked. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:49 AM
cool man gladd ur problem was resolved.. lol but u wanna pull the Positive cable and touch it to the negative that drains the capacitors going from negative to positive will backfeed the entire circuit... and fry almost everything.

Quick Reply: My 4.6 seems to be going down hill