Speedometer Dances

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speedometer Dances

Every now and then when I am accelerating, my speedometer starts acting crazy. It always tends to happen when I'm going from 30-45mph. The speedometer will stay at around 35, then shoot up to where it should be, then itwill dance around for a minute and continues to work as it should. At first I thought I was seeing things because it happened early one morning to me. Any idea on what this si all about?

Old 03-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Could be the VSS going bad, or the gears that drive it, or the speedo. Start by pulling the VSS out & inspecting the gears. It's stabbed into the trans tailhousing, retained by 1 bolt like a distributor.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
That's crazy! Mine did that for like a week, and never again. That was months ago. Unfortunatly I would have no clue how to fix it except to just start pullin it apart like above said, and see whats stopped up/catching/ so forth.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:04 PM
the rear ABS sensor is probably wet.. its located on top of the rear diff housing.. its a 10mm bolt that holds it on. just pull it out clean it off i usually tap it. make sure nothing is loose in there.. all it is it a magnet that reads the rpm the ring is spinning at. mine got wet on me several times always made the speedo dance or quit.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Dances