Observation is your best friend...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Observation is your best friend...

Not really engine related per se... I was replacing the outer tie rod on my 03 Ex. All went well with jacking, pulling the tire etc. Then, I tried unscrewing the tie rod end (these tie rods have a female thread in lieu of a sleave). I put a wrench on the adjusting rod and one on the nut portion of the tie rod. Man, I couldn't budge the thing. Ok, done this before... lots of PB blaster, tap, wait. Still no budging. Still no problem. Get the torch out. Nice and hot - that should break it loose. Wow! this thing is solid. Oh wait, its moving (small cry of happyness), but moving SLOWLY. After about 4 full rotations that are stripping flesh from my hands, I OBSERVE something.

the replacement tie rod DOES NOT HAVE NUT-SHAPED END????? Could that nut be - a - stop nut???. Sure enough. Back the nut off and the tie rod spins off in my hand.

Lesson - Observe things carefully. Do the obvious first. If it isn't working, stop doing it and try something else.

Put the new end on in 5 minutes. Drop the vehicle for a test drive. Pulls to the left. Up on the lift, loosen the STOP NUT turn the adjusting rod two turns. Tighten the STOP NUT. Droper 'er down and test drive. Perfect.

Observation is your best friend.

Quick Reply: Observation is your best friend...