New 4.4L diesel in 08

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 4.4L diesel in 08

for those of you deisel guys..

probably old news but in motortrend it said ford is on for a 4.4L deisel to be in the trucks for 2008.

I thought they canceled those plans...

Old 03-27-2007, 05:43 PM
The plans are good...I can't wait to see how it performs. Thanks for the news I know there was some debate about the size of the motor. I guess 4.4 is whats goin' in. Can't wait!
~Phil

Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Yes it is a 4.4L Land Rover motor. I was doing some development work on that engine. It has sequential turbos, lots of emission controls and all controlled by a Bosch fuel system and ECM. There is also an HD version that is a 6.6L. Ford is planning on phazing out the international engines completely.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:28 PM
ah no more powerstroke? too much debate with international huh? they just put a new one in!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by silver2003FX4
Yes it is a 4.4L Land Rover motor. I was doing some development work on that engine. It has sequential turbos, lots of emission controls and all controlled by a Bosch fuel system and ECM. There is also an HD version that is a 6.6L. Ford is planning on phazing out the international engines completely.
Interesting, yesterday at work ( I work for Cummins ), one of our customers, a large company who does powertrain testing, ( not sure if I should be naming names? ) requested one of our "new in box" ecm's and needed a specific calibartion installed. It was a bosch ecm for our 3.9 liters. I did the calibration and noticed in the remarks on our software that it was for automotive / Ford F250. Saw it with my own 2 eyes.
Here are the specs for that particular calibration: 200 hp @ 2900 rpm / 405 ft.lbs @ 1500 rpm.
Our 3.9 liters are inline 4 cyls. I believe it may have been a misprint and quite possibly should have said F150 since the above power ratings are way too low for the F250's.
I know we have built a V-6 prototype specificaly for Ford in the past and I have heard we have done another recently.
Last I was aware, our contract with Chrysler is up in 2010 unless they have extended.
We have stroked the 3.9 to a 4.5 just like we stroked the 5.9 to a 6.7 for the Dodges.
Our 3.9's are currently in alot of newer UPS and Fed Ex delivery size trucks.
Who knows, Ford may still be keeping all options on the table and may be licking their chops once the chrysler contract expires?
We see a ton of F550/F650 ( not sure if the nomenclature is right, but they are the roll off tow truck size ) with our 5.9's.

Probably should not be saying all this, THE MAN may be watching.

I guess we'll soon find out, stay tuned....

Last edited by ruger43; 04-07-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:57 AM
Sorry, accidental double post

Last edited by ruger43; 04-07-2007 at 03:59 AM. Reason: double post
Old 04-07-2007, 04:08 AM
From the pages of Four Wheeler Magazine May 2007:

Ford has entered a lawsuit against Navistar International Corp. over warranty costs and engine prices relating to the problematic 6.0L Power Stroke turbodesiel engine. While Ford is using a much-improved 6.4L Power Stroke in the '08 Superduty, sources say that relationship between the two companies has soured and Ford, A company with a long diesiel legacy, is already developing its own replacement diesel, a 6.7L V-8 for 2010 modle year Super Duty. Ford originally intended to use International's 4.5L V-6 "baby Powerstroke" in the F-150, and has since dropped that plan for a in-house 4.4 V-6.

Also on a side note F150 to get a Six-Speed tranny that will make it introduction in the "Redesigned 2009 F150"

Flex

Old 04-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Redesigning in 2009? Hopefully Ford leaves the Crack Pipes at home this time around. I'm starting to lose faith in Ford, especially didn't help when the Explorer went IRS. The newest truck I'm into is the 03's. Deisel would be cool, but we have to remember, Billy is still the CEO, he cares more about the fuel efficient's (small engined front wheel drives). The Mustang only gets its dues because of the knife getting held that close to his Chestnuts and could slip at any moment, if the Mustang dropped from the line or lost performance, or God Forbid, became front wheel drive. Where's the Lightning?? Why are outside companies like Saleen and Roush making the Ford performance truck, looks to me like the lightning so far has died along with SVT?? Anyways that's my 2 cents. I'm for the Diesel, as long as they don't flop it like Chevy did with the 5.7, 6.2, and the 6.5 deisels.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by alscort93
Hopefully Ford leaves the Crack Pipes at home this time around. I'm starting to lose faith in Ford, especially didn't help when the Explorer went IRS.

The Mustang only gets its dues because of the knife getting held that close to his Chestnuts and could slip at any moment, if the Mustang dropped from the line or lost performance, or God Forbid, became front wheel drive.
The F150 will not be IRS any time soon...it's almost crazy to think like that...and the Mustang will not be FWD any time soon. Ford wants to sell vehicles just as much as we want to buy good, strong, fast, technological, and functional vehicles. No matter who's the CEO, I can't see them committing suicide like that.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alscort93
Redesigning in 2009? Hopefully Ford leaves the Crack Pipes at home this time around. I'm starting to lose faith in Ford, especially didn't help when the Explorer went IRS. The newest truck I'm into is the 03's. Deisel would be cool, but we have to remember, Billy is still the CEO, he cares more about the fuel efficient's (small engined front wheel drives). The Mustang only gets its dues because of the knife getting held that close to his Chestnuts and could slip at any moment, if the Mustang dropped from the line or lost performance, or God Forbid, became front wheel drive. Where's the Lightning?? Why are outside companies like Saleen and Roush making the Ford performance truck, looks to me like the lightning so far has died along with SVT?? Anyways that's my 2 cents. I'm for the Diesel, as long as they don't flop it like Chevy did with the 5.7, 6.2, and the 6.5 deisels.

Well that is a stupid post. The explorer and expidition went IRS and that is the best thing they ever did. It is worlds better than the gm (Gods mistake) comparable vehicles. Billy the gay boy Ford likes small engine front wheel drives?? Excuse me.. but Ford cut the focus off at the knees for 2008. They aren't even close to competitive in that market. That said... Your reasons are wrong.. but Ford is really messed up in other ways that net the same result. There marketing is aweful. They don't have good ads. chevy has the new truck ad that pulls the heart strings.. this is our country bs. People fall for that crap and by a chevy truck. It is still a POS. Ford would do well to find a better advertising company. You don't like the 04 and up F150? why is that? It is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous generation.. and I loved that one too. Just the newer ones put the bar up a lot higher. The newest competition still can't compeat.. except in acceleration... I say so the ******* what about acceleration. If I wanted to be quick I would have bought a shelby mustang. My rig will tow more comfortabley and safely than the possers.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id rather have a big diesel... a land rover diesel in an f150... come on

Quick Reply: New 4.4L diesel in 08