lots of water from both tailpipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lots of water from both tailpipes

I know that some water dripping from the tail pipes is normal on warm up, etc., but my truck seems to be dripping a lot from both sides. It also drips from a dip in my exhaust, up by where the y was didvided. (I have true duals). It makes me wonder because sometimes the engine sounds like it has a misfire, or something. Is this a burnt valve or something? Anyone else ever have this problem with there 5.4?

Doug

Old 03-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Just today I saw a cop directing traffic get into his cruiser and nail the accelerator. For about 50 ft he was pissing water out of both pipes. It looked like streams of cow **** it was udderly disgusting.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Completely normal. As long as you're not losing any coolant, and the exhaust doesn't smell sweet, it's just water, completely normal, and nothing to worry about.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive noticed that on crown vics as well. i have a 96 ex cruiser and it drips a good 3-5 minutes after start up. she runs great and i beat the hell out of it. cant kill those cars.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
In a perfect world during perfect combution, a properly running engine should produce 1L of water for every 1L of fuel burned. But since none of that EVER happens, they will produce around 60% water to the fuel burned. Kind of a little bit of useless info to throw out there and make you sound smart when talking with your drunk buddies in the garage..

Old 03-27-2007, 06:05 AM
It has something to do with the Catalytic converter. It turns the bad gasses into water, once the truck warms up the water evaporates before it makes it to the end of the exaust. Even when your truck is hot, the exaust should feel moist when you put your hand over it. Just when it idles for a while the water dosent get "blown out", it builds up into those huge leaks you see. I wouldnt worry about it too much since you should also have a stainless steel exaust

Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06White150
It has something to do with the Catalytic converter. It turns the bad gasses into water, once the truck warms up the water evaporates before it makes it to the end of the exaust. Even when your truck is hot, the exaust should feel moist when you put your hand over it. Just when it idles for a while the water dosent get "blown out", it builds up into those huge leaks you see. I wouldnt worry about it too much since you should also have a stainless steel exaust
The catalytic converter has nothing to do with it. The water vapor is a byproduct of combustion. Burn any hydrocarbon, and you get water and CO2. That's basic organic chemistry.

Water condenses on cool surfaces. If the warm moist air in the exhaust makes contact with a relatively cool tail pipe or muffler, it will condense the same way water condenses on a glass of ice water.

-Joe

Old 03-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Ok i'm sorry... I was told that the byproduct of the chemical reaction in the cat causes water to be formed. I am sorry I posted my misinformation.

Quick Reply: lots of water from both tailpipes