97 F150 4.6 Died!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F150 4.6 Died!! :(

This truck has 200k miles on it, but was going just fine up the road and it just stopped running. No missing, no hesitation.. It just stopped running like someone turned the key off. When you try to start it, it doesnt even act like it wants to fire at all. It spins over fine. Im pretty sure its not a broke timing chain because it would atleast stutter or something because of the other chain. If you have any idea's for me, please help me out. I've already bought another truck because I really needed one. (05 F150 4.6 ) Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well just start off with the basics, spark,fuel and compression. good chance one of those is not there.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
An abrupt and sudden shut down is usually electrical.
The first sensor to generate reference to everything else is the crank position sensor.
The second one is the cam position sensor.
Check to see if a plug has come off, if no then check the sensor operation by either a back probing with a meter while cranking/and/or measureing their resistance for being open or shorted.
If nothing found, next place to go is the fuse boxes, then back to the engine for other posibilities in progressive order.
With a sudden shut down and no previous conditions, there may not be any code set but it dosn't hurt to look and see.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This won't help you, but I had a '67 chevelle that did that and it was the distributor. Great one second then completely dead the next. Cranked fine, but wouldnt start. I know our engines are way different than what I had in that car, but to me it sounds like total lack of ignition.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bluegrass is right. just dying fast like that usually is electrical. i had that happen on a old dakota. drove me crazy for weeks. it would start up every morning and be fine. then she would die with no warning. turned out it was a bad engine ground the insulation on the wire was so worn.

Quick Reply: 97 F150 4.6 Died!! :(