codes PO305 and PO314

Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
codes PO305 and PO314

Haven't posted in years...well since i had my 02 L. have a 2002 FX4 with 5.4 with 68000 miles on it. stoped by the store on the way home...got back in the truck and headed home. truck ran like crap, it would run smooth, then rough and like it had no power. by the time i was almost home it was rough as all get out most of the last 5 minutes of my drive. had ck engine light flash for about 20 seconds...drove it about 15 miles home and it got much worse over that time. had a buddy of mine (retired mechanic) bring his scanner over and plug it up. It is outdated, but it read PO305 Cyl 5 misfire...then it had PO314 below that with no info. he said that's cuz it was outdated software on his scanner, but i can't find any info on PO314. i'm no mechanic but can anyone point me in direction of the firing order of these things so i can at least find cyl 5. he said he could change that plug...

Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 AM
nevermind, i just wasn't using the right search phrase...i just found it...1-4 front to back on passenger side, 5-8 front to back drivers side. sorry about that...i searched many other things but didn't see it...sure as i post i find it.

any suggestions though on PO314? and should i just change all plugs, change the one and try it out or take it to mechanic and dish out the dough?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
PO314 Isn't a valid code .

It might be P1314 = Misfire Rate Catalyst Damage Fault - Bank 2

Which makes sense , cylinder 5 is on the bank 2 side . Both those codes will disappear when you replace the COP..

Old 03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Ah, thanks for the help. i've looked everywhere for that PO314...i must have gotten it wrong from him cuz that code aparently does not exist. i've got some work cut out for me tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:52 AM

You lucked out- #5 about the easiest one to get to lol

Good Luck

Old 03-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Guys code 314 is valid for Ford but may not be for other makes.
It is a misfire detection that could not discern what cylinder.
Ignoe it because it is part of the overall problem that will go away when the fault is repaired.
Believe it or not, there is no 1314 code for (Ford) as of the latest code sheets I have. There may very well be a 1314 for (other) makes.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 03-23-2007 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:38 PM

Bluegrass - this is the Ford code sheet I found P1314 on . Yeah , still haven't seen PO314, sounds familiar thow lol..

http://www.svtlightnings.com/scantoo...tc%20codes.htm

Old 03-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the list...went and grabbed new plug and Coil today...bout to head home and get it changed out. yeah, the guys scanner software was from '99 or last updated in '99...something like that. i could have sworn he said PO314, maybe not. we'll see if the change out works on that one. truly got lucky being #5.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:13 AM
Thanks Jim.

Ive saw these little dittys happen before.
What may be good for say an 02 is no longer good for another year where they replace the code function with another one when either the design, hardware changes and/or the emissions rules change. .
This is why there are PCM id numbers specific to the year and model.
We take a minor chance at applying the same code charts accross the spectrum of years and models beside some being left out.
The list you referenced has codes I don't on my list. They seem to suggest reference to faults on 04 and later trucks.
Best way is to have two or more lists from different sources and cross check.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 03-23-2007 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
~ Oh jbrew... ~

I always use Google to get these . Hit several references & P0314 does indeed exist & is generic...

http://www.myscantool.com/dtc/powertrain.html

...just an FYI.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
~ Oh jbrew... ~

I always use Google to get these . Hit several references & P0314 does indeed exist & is generic...

http://www.myscantool.com/dtc/powertrain.html

...just an FYI.

There it B !!! Yuh found it !!! Thanx Dude

What a stupid code "single cylinder misfire" - Well, that would be COP 5.

Cheers Bubba

Old 03-23-2007, 12:09 PM
I did some minor compairison between my list source and your list source and see there are whole blocks of codes left out.
In cross checking, it appears the 'specialty' lists leave out codes that are N/A to the peticular vehichle.
Bottom line is we need to be somewhat careful in saying a code does or does not exist and leave room for this kind of list difference.
The codes even apply to diesels, CNG and other FFV and usually are easy to spot when you consider that a gas engine would not use, for example, a code 1392 or a gas 4.6L would not use a code like 0210.
I can often spot those codes that would result only from a 'requested' diagnostics by a scan tool and not be ordinarly seen on a regular scan.
The requested scan is where we often are stopped by the normal low end scanners and kept from getting useful info for deeper trouble shooting.

I have this type background from working with very large systems that have auto generate diagnostic fault output via master control console, CRT, Printer, and via requested diagnostics for special extended testing. The output results come in English, decimal, octal and hex codes. These outputs most often had to be expanded to find the specific information "bits" that apply to pin pointing the fault.
Then the actual repair attempt begins. Then retesting all over again.
Without going into any detail, there are 10s of thousands of pages of support docs for the hardware that is used to chase circuit specific and lead faults.
In addition, for the above, there could be thousands of pages of input messages and more than that of output messages to use in chasing the fault indicated within the output messages, not to mention all the intermittant fault outputs for which one saves (a lot of printer paper tear outs) to look for a pattern of what the fault most likely would be.
As time goes on, software engineers keep adding registers to the program that does this analysis for faster mantainence and so the programs keep getting more and more complex and need these version numbers to set options, updates and improvements.
Usually when updating a program there are at least three prime items that have to be considered. One is the update incremental; is the jump based on the last updates within limits; are the changes to a complete generic change such that a full restart of the processor is needed (hard {running} reboot) and possably the hardware needs some kind of change in order for the sofware to work or a change because of new/mods of exsting hardware..
AND then, ahh yes, the good old bugs, no one or machine is perfect all the time.
Spent many a time in telephone conference call with engineers trying to solve a problem that evaded the standard dignostics and indentification beyond the given means.
Today, there are programs that are {writtern first} then used to set up changes, then used to re-write 'many changes' hopefully correct into an existing program.
So you can see how deep this has all become.
With due respect, I have to keep my answers here within the ability of the average person to understand, point to easier ways to try, or it become useless to anyone.
Sorry for the long write. I thought a perspective would be a good thing at this point, for those who might relate to some of it.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 03-23-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:59 PM

That misfire code is definitly a new one on me . I thought there were just these types of misfire codes - Random/Multiple, Misfire below 1000 rpms, Pimary/Secondary and the cylinder specific codes..

I guess I'll keep an open mind before I call it next time and do a little cross referencing.

Thanx for the explanation - I understand now why you can't find all the codes in one spot lol..

Old 10-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Update, please stonemade...

Did the COP help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: codes PO305 and PO314