5.4 oil leak(s)

Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 oil leak(s)

I just picked up a 98 F-150 with 5.4. It runs great, but there is a fair amount of oil in 2 different places. The first is on the front of the motor, there is a ton of sludge buildup near the sending unit on the drivers side. I assume there may be a leak coming from there. I just don't know how common this is and if it could cause enough of a leak to have that much sludge buildup and even some leakage on teh crossmember below.

The second leak is harder to trace. The oil pan seems to be very wet. Mostly in one area, on the rear passenger side. It doesn't appear that there is any leakage coming from above even though there is a little on the bellhousing.

I don't think it is a head gasket or anything like that as there is really no leakage in between. Could it be as easy as a pan gasket and sending unit, or should I be looking somewhere else?

Neither leak appears heavy enough to actually drip on the ground. If it is a pan gasket, can the gasket be changed without lifting the engine as the Haynes manual suggests.

Sorry for all the questions but I am normally a Jeep guy this is my first Ford and am trying to learn the quirks they have as I have for the Jeeps. You guys know where to look so I'm not chasing my tail

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 oil leak(s)