Keeping Oil Changes On The New 5.4 Neat -- Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Keeping Oil Changes On The New 5.4 Neat -- Any Tips?

I just picked up my new F-150 last week and intend to do my first oil change at around 500 miles. I have a 2005 XLT 4x2 with the 5.4 engine, and have been eyeing up that plastic drip shield that Ford positions underneath the oil filter with some suspicion.

So for the guys who have this engine, and do their own oil changes, any tips on how to keep the old oil flowing into your drain pan and not running out in ten different directions and "gumming up" the suspension components and garage floor?

Just to cut everyone off at the pass, going to the dealer is not an option -- I prefer doing my own oil service on all of my vehicles!

Old 06-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't had any trouble with the drip pan as long as you take your time. On my FX4 there is even a hole in the skid plate that the oil is funneled to. You might want to let the dealer do the first as it is pain getting the oil filter off the first time. It is TIGHT. They do not use any oil on the o-ring on assembly of the engine, so it is hard to come off.
Make sure you get one of the cup type filter wrenches, and with a ratchet and a 10" extension, it is easy to get to.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I concur with kingfish51, getting the filter off the first time can be a frustrating experience and consume time & patience. I ended up having to use an 18" pipe wrench to move the bottom ring of the filter after totally destroying the main filter body along with several filter wrenches. To get the 18" wrench in there I had to remove the serpentine belt - not a big deal.

I found the drip shield to be a little deceptive in that for me because I expected it to drain to the front, but most of mine seems to drain out the back of it! I am on level ground when I do this, by the way.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Yep -- I'm already prepared with a wide variety of different filter wrenches to use on the factory filter. I learned with my wife's '05 Escape how tight they put these brutes on at the factory!

Old 06-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Fumoto valve.

fumotovalve.com

Old 06-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
Fumoto valve.

fumotovalve.com
I thought about suggesting that, but it seems the main issue here is the oil filter draining, which the valve wont help with...unfortunately. I have one on my truck and Im glad I do.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah, the filter is the messy part. I thought about puncturing it to let it drain, but the K&N filters I use are pretty thick and I don't want to drill into it.

I use a large zip-lock bag to unscrew the filter, so when it comes free it (and a lot of oil) drops into the bag. I also have large drain pan, so when I remove the filter/bag, the drips go onto the drain pan. Makes a little mess but less than having a whole filter dump out.

Just dump the oil from zip-lock bag into the drain pan when you are done.

I use a zip-lock bag because they are thicker than typical bags, so there's less chance it will leak onto me.

There's also a vacuum thing that Griot's Garage sells, it sucks oil from your dipstick tube. Supposedly it gets it all out with no mess, but I like draining it out from the pan.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm seriously considering the oil filter relocation kit from Moss Motors. Even after the dealer changes the filter the first time, it's still a pain in the you know what to get to the filter. This would also help with the mess.

Anyone have one of these? Are they worth it?

Old 06-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Excuse the interuption but, how does this "fumotovalve" thingy hold up in the world of off road vehicles?

Is it best used with vehicles that never leave pavement?

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guy's are making me worried about my first oil change. lol. Planning on doing it at 1000 miles.

Did they change the location of the filter in the 04/05 trucks over previous model years?

Old 06-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I have used the fumoto valve for a couple years now and have had no issues with going off road. If your rock crawling I would think twice, but mud, sand, and small sticks and stones have not done any damage. You can drain the pan with out a drop on you with it...

Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Intel486
Guy's are making me worried about my first oil change. lol. Planning on doing it at 1000 miles.

Did they change the location of the filter in the 04/05 trucks over previous model years?
Depends on which year you are talking about. My 98 4x4 had a relocation kit stock and it was behind the bumper. I worried about it being there in the case of a fender bender or a stone coming out of the tread and puncturing the filter. My 01 was basically in the same place as my 04. If you use the method I mentioned in my previous reply you will find it fairly easy to get to, after the first time. That first time it is just so dang tight.

Last edited by kingfish51; 07-28-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:23 PM
dlb
Originally Posted by robbcwz
I found the drip shield to be a little deceptive in that for me because I expected it to drain to the front, but most of mine seems to drain out the back of it! I am on level ground when I do this, by the way.
Same issue here! Man was I ticked when I got oil all over the garage.
Originally Posted by Intel486
Yeah, my new '05 5.4's is in a better location than my 2000 F150 with a Romeo 4.6

Old 06-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by jward
Excuse the interuption but, how does this "fumotovalve" thingy hold up in the world of off road vehicles?
Is it best used with vehicles that never leave pavement?
If you do serious offroading, then you might not want it. But in all honestly, it only takes out MAYBE 1/4" since the valve itself is like 1/2" long, but the drain plug sits at an angle, so you dont really lose all that much ground clearance.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Where is the oil filter location on the newer F-150's.
I have a 2000 with a 5.4 & it is right above the front differential, so you need to jack the truck up or drive up on ramps reach above the differential into a very small area that you cant even fit a filter wrench into. If you dont use motorcraft oil filters, it is a real pain to change the oil. Its not as messy as I thought it would be though, the oil stays in the plastic channel that is on the axle.

Quick Reply: Keeping Oil Changes On The New 5.4 Neat -- Any Tips?