Motor Fired but Did Not Start, Started on 2nd Try

Old 03-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Motor Fired but Did Not Start, Started on 2nd Try

Hey Guys and Gals-
Just wondering if any of you have had anything like this ever happen to your truck. I have an 05 FX4 with a 5.4 and today it acted normal while trying to start but didn't stay running. Dash said "Check Gauges" but there were no lights and everything looked normal....Looks like another trip to the dealer if it does it again.
Thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of the 3V 5.4. Ford knows about this problem but you won't get them to admit it. I've been tied up for a year so far with Ford in a lawsuit over this same problem trying to make them buy it back. So far I've compiled a list of over 104 people in my state alone that have this problem. I found a couple of techs who off the record will say they've had tons of people in with this same problem.

Ford had issued a TSB about a long crank issue, but apparently this wasn't what they were talking about. The worst part is it's so intermittent that it's hard for the service techs to know what to do if they can't reproduce it. That's where we're having problems w/ the lemon law on my truck.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Want to hear a crazy gauge issue?! My '07s gauge cluster will put the tach and the speedometer under 10 when I turn off the truck and sit in the cab for about 3 or 4 minutes. However it doesn't do it all that often. It's fun to watch. It will go down all the way and then in like 10 seconds it will go back to around 10 or the 0 mark.

Mind you it isn't the normal "gauge sweep". It's like the needle goes limp... then it gets power applied to it... or what not.

Truck works great though... maybe just a gauge check feature or something... or a caliberation possibly? I just don't want it to end up setting my truck on fire like the cruise control malfunctions on the older models...

Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 PM
You people are making me feel a lot better about my POS '97 model! It doesn't ever give me any problems. At least you are still under warranty. That's something I DON'T have.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chester8420
You people are making me feel a lot better about my POS '97 model! It doesn't ever give me any problems. At least you are still under warranty. That's something I DON'T have.
lol yeah that crap sucks dont it? but then, i've seen some of the "techs" do work. im not impressed. lol

Old 03-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by qkpicker
Hey Guys and Gals-
Just wondering if any of you have had anything like this ever happen to your truck. I have an 05 FX4 with a 5.4 and today it acted normal while trying to start but didn't stay running. Dash said "Check Gauges" but there were no lights and everything looked normal....Looks like another trip to the dealer if it does it again.
Thanks
Both the 02 that I drive at work and my 05 do this on occassion - usually after a misstart caused by me releasing the starter too soon. The only solution that has worked for me 100% of the time is to cycle the ignition completely off before attempting to start again. Our 2000 Focus also had this odd behavior.

I think it's just a glitch in the programming that prevents it from reverting to startup mode again until cycled off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Fired but Did Not Start, Started on 2nd Try