Motorcraft or free Quaker State?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcraft or free Quaker State?

At the shop I work at, I have a free supply to Quaker State 5W-20. My question is, is this oil as good as Motorcraft, or should I spend a few extra dollars and get the Ford stuff? I like the fact that the Quaker State would not cost me anything, but I only want the best for my truck.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:13 PM
I'd go with the free stuff. It's oil. It'll work just fine. My dad has been running the cheapest stuff he can find in his Ranger 2.3L for 180K now, and he changes it whenever he feels like, usually 5K.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 PM
i used to be in that school of thinkin as far as the cheap stuff is good enough.... but i tore down the motor at 180K and ...... holy sludgy sight batman!!!! the lifter valley was very thick with sludge it had molded around the push rods. not cool. this time she will be getting mobil 1

Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quaker state and pennzoil are parafin based oils. I wouldn't touch them. The motorcraft is from ash based oil and it takes a lot less additives to get it up to spec. this means it will do the job better and longer than quaker state. Your truck.. do what you want. Just my 2 pennies

Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I will stick with the Motorcraft. It's only $13 all together from Wally World anyway.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by chris1450
quaker state and pennzoil are parafin based oils. I wouldn't touch them. The motorcraft is from ash based oil and it takes a lot less additives to get it up to spec. this means it will do the job better and longer than quaker state. Your truck.. do what you want. Just my 2 pennies

paraffin based oil has nothing to do with paraffin wax. paraffins are a class
of organic chemicals , just like ketones are a class or family or organic chemicals

what are ash based oils? what is the source of your disinformation?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by chris1450

of organic chemicals , just like ketones are a class or family or organic chemicals

Old 03-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Keep records of using Quaker State and you get 250,000 mile 10 year lube coverage. Stuff can't be that bad!!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Quaker State is totally fine, no different than Pennzoil, Valvoline etc in my opinion. Oil is oil, and free is free. Some people swear by one or another, but really the important part is when you change it. Save the money for that expensive liquid called gas.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:20 AM
i was always told that pennzoil was recycled ??

Old 03-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
Quaker State is totally fine, no different than Pennzoil, Valvoline etc in my opinion. Oil is oil, and free is free. Some people swear by one or another, but really the important part is when you change it. Save the money for that expensive liquid called gas.
I agree. I've always ran QS in my vehicles and never had a problem. I've never tore down any of the motors because I've sold them with high mileage or for the farm trucks they just kept going and going. Free is free, use that money to buy something else.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I have heard about people's engines being crapped up because of that brand. But who cares what the inside of your engine looks like? Is Martha Stuart gonna inspect it?

RUN THE FREE STUFF!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmeidlinger

Your just a fine specimen huh? why the insulting tone? I guess your the one with the most disinformation:

http://www.wetestit.com/Crude_101.htm
http://www.pitandquarry.com/pitandqu...l.jsp?id=17990

I learned about the quality of the two different types years ago in the Air Force. Plus experiance with pariffn based oils in auto engines in the 1970's showed me nothing but sludge build up. Some times so much so there was enough room in the valve covers for the rocker arms to move but that was all. I am sure it is better now with new oil technology, but I still won't use it. I think it would be good for you to loose your tone and do some research of your own.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Chris, sludge is no more caused by paraffinics or crude parafins than dirty toilet seats cause babies. Oils from the 70's contained the new wonder component called polymers. Polymers were the agent that let an oil be a multiviscosity. The early polymers were notorious about sludging an engine. Ask any GM owner that used the speced 10w-40. Here is a dictionary that is provided by Noria. Noria is at the top of the game when it comes to teaching about lubes and the components.
http://www.noria.com/dictionary/defa...&alphasearch=P

Old 03-14-2007, 09:40 PM
csonka
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Chris, sludge is no more caused by paraffinics or crude parafins than dirty toilet seats cause babies. Oils from the 70's contained the new wonder component called polymers. Polymers were the agent that let an oil be a multiviscosity. The early polymers were notorious about sludging an engine. Ask any GM owner that used the speced 10w-40. Here is a dictionary that is provided by Noria. Noria is at the top of the game when it comes to teaching about lubes and the components.
http://www.noria.com/dictionary/defa...&alphasearch=P
Nice, PWNT!

Quick Reply: Motorcraft or free Quaker State?