Loss of power on 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:09 PM
AJW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of power on 5.4

Hello All,

I've got a 2000 5.4L 4x4 with 140,000 KM's that has recently developed a strange loss of power when the engine is hot, and ONLY when its completely warmed up. When its cold it doesn't do this.

Upon acceleration it seems the more gas I give it, the less it accelerates until I hit about 2500 RPM or more and then it acts more normal. Its almost like the engine is choking or something

That being said, I've checked the air filter (K&N) which is totally clean and not overly oiled, I've cleaned the MAF. I've replaced the fuel filter which was a tad bit plugged. I've replaced all the spark plugs which were still the factory ones I believe. I've checked for vacuum leaks and everything seems fine there as well as the PCV valves (which I don't think would cause this anyways). I've also run injector cleaner about 3 tanks of gas ago. The transmission fluid level is fine and I'm kinda scratching my head here...

Two things have coincided with the development of the problem.

One, its gotten pretty hot here and it seems that as soon as it got hot, this problem started and its been hot ever since so I can't test it in colder weather. By hot I mean over 30 degrees celsius (I'm from Canada) so that'd be about 90 farenheidt (but really the truck shouldn't act like this in that kind of weather). The truck acts like this regardless of whether the air conditioning is on or not.

And two, I fueled up where I normally do and have never had an issue with getting bad fuel from the gas station. But it is possible that I got a bad batch or the sludge sitting in the bottom of the tank.

The engine runs as smooth as ever and doesn't have any hiccups at all. No jerking or anything like that which would indicate a possible misfire. The tone of the engine doesn't sound any different, it just lacks power until the RPM's get up a bit.

Do you think its as simple as bad fuel or any other things I could check?

Quick Reply: Loss of power on 5.4