Blinking Check Engine Light 5.4L

Old 03-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blinking Check Engine Light 5.4L

I have searched and am headed to NAPA to get the computer flashed and codes checked...but I'm starting this thread out of frustration. Nobody ever seems to finish their posts and explain what fixed the problem....I will in hopes that the next guy will be thankful.

1997 F150 5.4L with 120k on it......check engine light came on two weeks ago and went off again at next startup.....didn't think much about it, figured
O2 Sensor needed changing soon....

This morning check engine light came on and flashed like a *****.....engine ran rough.....funny smell from tailpipe.....drove 1/2 mile straight home, used wifeys car for rest of morning run.

I am learning from the searches that it is probably a misfire (felt like it)....and that coils can be an issue....but I haven't had this truck long, so I don't really know if it has one coil per cylinder like some others....blah blah blah.

Anyway, I will know more later....but if someone wants to chime in and give their .02 cents...that would be most excellent.

Looking forward to spending this money...not.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Blinking engine light is definately a misfire.

Sorry I can't help any more than that...this has never happened to my truck, my brothers expedition did this once while I was behind him on the interestate. Smelled horrible!!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Probably a bad COP. I've replaced 7 out of the 8 in the past 1 1/2 year. One more to go. The code will tell you which cylinder is misfiring. Sometimes I wish I would have just bought all 8 and repalced them all at once. I had two go in the past month.

Still not convinced it's the coil, but the boot that is arcing through.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Bad to drive this vehicle less than 10 miles will misfiring??

Old 03-02-2007, 10:27 AM
get code and reply

typically on all 4.6 and 5.4 mod motors at 120,000 the obvious explanation is a misfire due to the jerking and foul smell most likely rich. the cop's do fail pretty regularly but its usually due to the insulator for the plug arching out to ground in the cylinder head or high resistance through the plug possible gap or just worn out plugs all which contribute to the coil firing at its maximum output.........get the codes ran find out what cylinder number and you should be good........keep in mind the whole fuel factor and a possible bad injector on that cylinder, ive run into lots of those as well.
todd/owner
aarons auto service
waterford michigan

Old 03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
You're not going to hurt anything driving it less than 10 miles. When my first went out, I was towing my boat. Drove it 60 miles. It just shook alot.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Waterford Michigan , your just down the road I'm right off 59 a couple miles West of 23..

Anyway, everybody's right - definite Misfire - The blinking light comes directly from your misfire monitor. Go get the MIL read , you have a code stored in your KAM (computer) They read them free @Auto Zone.

If you need COPs , there $12 a piece @ Global Automotive, But there closed until March 5 .. Go here for Globals Message to all who purchase from them -

http://stores.ebay.com/GLOBAL-AUTOMO...Q3amesstQQtZkm

Last edited by jbrew; 03-02-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Code 0304
Bought the COP....my buddy who owns a shop is putting it in for me because it is cyllinder #4 and I don't want to deal with it.

Thanks for the info..let you know what happens.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by SprinklerGuy
Code 0304
Bought the COP....my buddy who owns a shop is putting it in for me because it is cyllinder #4 and I don't want to deal with it.

Thanks for the info..let you know what happens.
Have him inspect the heater hose connection directly overhead of the #4 COP. It tends to leak and the coolant causes the #4 COP failure.

Steve

Old 03-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks,
I mentioned that to him...he mentioned to me that there was a fix for that but it was time consuming and could be costly if I didn't do it myself......thoughts?

Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I believe this is the fix, its not that bad if they have done it before - its not as messy if they have they cap the line feeds right away after disconnect or just drain the fluid down a bit- but your have to work the air out from the top RAD hose when bring the fluid back up. - Burp the system.

Or its a good time just to flush the coolant system..

Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 AM
UPDATE
Changed the plug and the COP...runs like a top.

Now for that heater core fix

Thanks again ,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blinking Check Engine Light 5.4L