98 5.4 P0304 #4 misfire fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 5.4 P0304 #4 misfire fix

1998 F150 SC 74,000 miles original plugs and COP's.

Started running like crap and missing. Eventually threw blinking CEL and the CEL stayed on. Autotap and P0304. Researched on the forum and found out about coolant leak problem (I had been smelling coolant from time to time outside the truck).

Sure enough #4 COP showed signs of wet coolant.

One thing I did which I would not recommend is I changed both hoses to the heater core. The clips were a pain (used the hot screwdriver trick I found on the forum). The hose that goes in the back of the engine was especially problematic. If I had it to do over again I would just upgrade the one worm drive clamp to constant tension at the leak and be done with it.

Changed plugs (w/anti seize) and put new boots from NAPA and dielectric grease. Moved suspect #4 to #1 so I could get to it easier to change if it was in fact bad (at that tiem wasn't sure if it was just the moisture or what).

Truck still ran bad so I changed out COP at #1 (was #4) and it is fixed.

I may have made the job more complicated than it needed to be but at least I shouldn't have to be back in there unless another COP goes bad. And barring any moisture conditions or coolant leaks hopefully that will be a while.

I have to thank everyone on the forum for their contributions as these clues helped me diagnose and fix my truck without getting nabbed at the stealership.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 02-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You'll be back in there soon enough - the COP winedings are getting brittle - It's an age thing..You should replace them all. If youve checked out this forum like you said , you know where to get all 8 COP's for $96.. That's the best tune up you could give a 98..Well along with these type three injectors that can be had for around $60 for all 8.. But you prolly already know that..

I replaced both my heater core lines last month , I just squeezed the plastic tabs together with my fingers and they both pulled right off..

Old 02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I already ordered the COP's from Kevin but I elected not to replace them at this time. I have them if I need them. I think 75k is a little early to replace them all. Some other people share in that opinion. Time will tell though...

I didn't have the same luck that you had with just pulling off the coolant hoses. And even if I did I still don't recommend fighting the one hose that is on the rear of the motor unless it is absoulutely necessary. I see from your pic you had the intake off already so that is a much different situation.

Thanks for the feedback and once again thanks to all who contribute on the forum.

Andy

Old 02-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I've accumulated quite a few COP sets over the last year. I don't buy from Kevin anymore. I wait until someone gets a hold of an old Ford crate motor on ebay and parts it out ..In fact I have 5 auctions going right now that's going to end in a few minutes. The parts are all new , they just have been bolted to the crate motor so they can't sell them as new really. I'm winning every auction I'm in right now lol .

Anyway, the first time I swapped out my COPs for new ones is when I noticed a HUGE gain in performance , but do what you want , your COPs don't have many miles , the've been in the environment a little long IMHO..

Old 02-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a new clamp on mine... it rusted one of my plugs in two pieces about 4 years ago... that was b4 I would work on my engine, cost 1300 to have fixed...

Quick Reply: 98 5.4 P0304 #4 misfire fix