Please help quick

Old 12-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help quick

I'm installing UD pullies in my 02 5.4 and I'm trying to get the harmonic balancer off. I've got the tool, and am trying to get it off but it seems like it's not going to happen. I was just wondering if i was doing it right. I've got bolts in the three holes in the pulley and the long one in the middle with an arrow type cap over it. These are all through the balancer removal tool that looks like a chicken's foot. Do I just keep turning the main bolt until it pops off or what? It feels like I'm about to break something so any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hit the balancer with a hammer as you crank it, it will pop off. If not, just get it very tight, and come back about 5 minutes later, thats how i did mine. Got it really tight, took about a 5 minute break to think about what to do, then i hear a loud clank, and the puller fell to the ground, and the pulley broke loose on its own lol

Old 12-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those are a pain in the a$$ to get off. breaker bar or a impact wrench with like 400lbs torque lol. whatever you do do NOT hammer it back on. did that once to my old caprice. it went on crooked that is a real pain to get off.took me about 1 hour of fighting it. lessen learned

Old 12-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I figured it out. I got the bolt out (took like 5 hours) but then I couldn't actually get the balancer out. I did s search while I was waiting for a response and I found out that there was a damn washer on there that had to come out first. It was a real PITA, but if I had to do it again it'd be pretty easy. Thanks again for all the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please help quick